my handyman projects n progress

1. 17,117 Posts.
    yesterday I made an artists easel, it was an example, a practice project
    the timber is craftwood that I got for free from Bunnings
    1,4 metre lengths about 3" wide
    I bought 2 hinges, for the top of the A frames, cost $9.00 heavy duty things supposed to be suitable for gates...
    (this was my own idea, thought I was smart)
    anyway I put nail holes in, to make it easy to put the screws in...that was good, it worked well
    2 pieces of 1 metre timber across the lower section, and the A frames half a metre apart...with timber joining them together as a cross bar

I had some tiny heavy duty chain I stapled to the lower sections, until I figure out how to fit them more securely

overall it was incredibly easy, with only a few nails to attach the cross bar timbers to the frame...
    I will need to look for an electric drill, to insert screws into it, rather than the nails
    I was very pleased with the job, specially since it was just a practice run..
    you will not believe one of the hinges broke, snapped off, so I will have to replace them, am intending to take them back and get a refund..
    the project is to build an easel for less than $20

my handyman collected the 8 foot timber for me last week, to make the final larger easel...that plan uses a large hole with a bolt in the top, rather than the hinges..
    That timber cost $24, so it is going to cost more than the $20 budget
    no wonder I am envious of handymen...the things one can do and achieve for a fraction of the cost

to buy an easel this size might cost between $150-$200 or more, I have seen some for almost $1000

I need to make another feeding platform to hang on the fence for the possum family, since there are 3 of them now, plus the baby in the pouch
    I propose using the large garden hooks, x 4 that you hang, to hang over the fence,and between the trees to support a platform about 18" square. The current platform we used the above, plus a shelf that came out of an old fridge, with a piece of timber on top. Two possums can sit there feeding, but it is better with only one possum.

I may look at making a garden seat in the future, just an oblong box type structure, apart from that, it will just be the picture frames.
    Are any of you 'hobby or part time handymen' and if so what have you made recently.
    cheers

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.