my kind of music, page-1265

1. 18,431 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 187
    @Joannie you cannot change people's taste, unless they really want to and are into 'new things' - I have slowly changed over the years from a pure classical music taste (and also being a musician, then, my skills are vanishing now) - I have changed cultures, countries, but have always had an open ear for other melodies, always loved gypsy music and Eastern European music, which is mostly in minor keys and in strange old-fashioned keys -
    But
    'having' had to develop a taste in what the general crowd likes, by running a radio program for my ethnic group - and then adapting to my children's taste which was a bit out there, apart from the classical training they got - and now new friends and their tastes (NoBoDe has a good ear for music, but subjected me to endless sessions of "Slim Dusty" - similar friends on here, too . . . ) I have slowly changed to be a little more easy and less judgmental and more appreciative of the 'other'.

My latest 'crush' is Irish folk music, (but it also has its trashy side) - my reason: I accidentally bumped into an ordinary man at one of my little parties, who suddenly began singing, but so good and so professional, it was astounding - and he was a total amateur, but the songs were Irish, and not the usual pub song - I don't even know the titles, have to ask him again - it was a beautiful experience to hear this ordinary man suddenly blossom into the poetry of language and sound.

I have also listened to my English s.i.l. banging away at his drums every time I go over there and realised, it is an art form in itself - so I began 'listening' - really 'listening' to all the wonderful variety of noises the human throat and the rest of the human body - with the help of some weird and wonderful instruments - can produce.

I still love my classical music - I was listening today to something which would have been 20th century music, perhaps by Leonard Bernstein, who was principally a conductor, but composed a lot, too, but a neighbour dropped in and I didn't hear the end of it . . . . .

What I am saying; music and the words, often the artist, is associated with all kinds of first experiences for people, first love, first surge of teenage energy, emotion, as expressed by a pop artist and it can remain a life-long fixation - there is nothing you can do to change that.
    In girls there is often a crush on a particular pop star involved, and 'that song' becomes a leitmotiv throughout their lives. Maybe boys do the same, but they often go for the noisy, eardrum-pounding type of 'music', also expressing energy, sexuality.' A perfectly legal outlet, and if you want to analyse it in a sociological way, and this is IMO only: a clever way by the 'reigning' older generation to suppress the inherently chaotic and renewing - and possibly revolutionary forces of youth.

Wow - I didn't mean to go this far. Lets just cry into our cups and refresh the memories of our youth with our favourite pop artist!
    Take care
    Taurisk

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.