My name is Dex. I am a cauliholic, page-135

1. 59,157 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 727
    LOL I just recall asking you what you did with occy and you said turn the into Dhu fish

While I like pickled occy I find the vinegar over powering

My receipe

I prepare my occy by giving them a good wash to get the slime off and put a good amount of sea salt on it, apparently freezing then helps tenderizer

In a big pot of boiling water I add vinegar, dunk the occy in and out a few times then let them boil. Depends on the size and amount but I find 2-.2.5 kg take 15-20 mins to the point a fork can pierce near the head relatively easy. Drain let cool then wipe the black skin off as much as possible, with the bigger occy I take off much of that fatty skin.

Cut into pieces and a large pot with very hot olive oil fry them in batches to give them some colour, once done

I use the same pot I fried the occy and with that oil add some more extra virgin olive to saute the following, in that order

1/2 bulb garlic finely chopped
    2 x red onions finely chopped
    2 x medium/large red capsicum finely chopped
    1 x leek, halved length ways and finely sliced
    2-3 red chlli finely chopped
    1/2 bulb garlic finely chopped
    hand full wild fennel leaves finely chopped
    bit of safron
    1 x can of diced tomatoes, well drained

Once that is all combined and cooked down I add

5ooml of white, dry white or Sauvignon blanc
    500ml fish stock
    Add the occy in and if required add more wine and or fish stock
    taste and adjust salt, if too salty add sugar

Simmer for a bit and it's done, though the flavour improves over the following days left in the fridge

So not only does the occy taste great eating with the sauce on crusty bread Yumm

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.