my neighbour's dog

1. 14,365 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 102
    I wrote a while back my neighbour passed away.

He was caring for his daughter's little dog who he carried everywhere. After he died the dog sat at the gates waiting for him. I'd pick him up and take him home.

the wife asked us to look after him. Now he won't go home. That's okay in the interim but the wife rang and said she was going to try him at her daughter's because he really belonged to her grandkids and they wanted him back. If you saw their father you'd understand why the dog is here with us now.

The wife's daughter has a bad illness that has rendered her in a wheelchair with very little movement and no speech. So when the son in law is away the wife has to go and do everything. She's exhausted as well as grieving.

I'm worried because he's a tiny dog and there's roos, wild dogs and snakes. He won't last long here. I haven't told her he's allready spent the night in my loungeroom after I found him bailed up against the glass doors and something moving in the bushes.

My husband doesn't want us to have the dog at all and I don't know if the wife is remembering to feed him all the time. He's been full of fleas and I've washed him and brushed him. He's scratching again so I'm going to buy him a collar.

We tried having a conversation about the dog but her mind is so full of schedules of medicines and doctors.

Any suggestions. I'm exhausted.

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.