Denk12 - Yours is an amazing post - thankyou for sharing. As you...

1. 17,813 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 143
    Denk12 - Yours is an amazing post - thankyou for sharing.

As you probably know by now, as I have been hanging around these pages long enough; my husband died - suddenly - from a heart attack now many years ago. We knew one another from very young, but didn't hitch up until I returned 'home' from England (now 'home' is Australia, then it was Austria) - I was 19 - we made promises to one another and 1 year later he came to Australia and I followed. He had been on a freighter for 1 1/2 years sailing from Hamburg to Greece and back and decided he didn't like the company of 'those drunken, whoring sailors' (his words).

The story you tell about 'sailing' I could almost duplicate with 'sailing' the cliffs of a new country of two young inexperienced people, who had children too young, but young enough to love them and 'play' with them etc.
    and one of my husband's dreams had always been to sail the oceans, if necessary with family. Luckily he found other interests that were equally fascinating and involved me at times coming to the rescue and becoming his helpmate in a very real way - and thus we lived our lives. We had just about 'won that race' when he died so suddenly. One of my regrets had been, that he had never owned that sailing boat - I know he would have loved it.

Even though we never bought that boat and sailed, I fully understand the romance and also the raw reality of it all and that you made it as a family and a couple is something you can be justly proud of. What memories for the children, too! Thankyou for sharing that amazing story!

P.S. I know just such a sailor, whose boat, which he built himself and I was at the launch, now seems permanently moored at the yacht club, however he does go to Thailand with his friends as crew to sail in some races there on a yearly basis. His long-suffering, but lovely wife, just shrugs her shoulders now when there is talk of 'the boat'. But they never did go on such an epic journey as you did.

Tau

P.S. - I hope you keep copies of some of your post for your children.
  2. This thread is closed.

You may not reply to this discussion at this time.

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.