SMY sally malay mining limited

From what I hear Jojo, some of the locals and related family...

1. 1,485 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 12
    From what I hear Jojo, some of the locals and related family were quite proud of the association, (although the mine was named after the bore and not the person.) The statement below leads me to think it might have been just as much about the money as it was about Aboriginal culture.

"In a statement to The West Australian, the company said it had negotiated with Ms Malay since the middle of last year and was disappointed the discussions had become public.

“We have received repeated requests for a financial arrangement as a solution (to the naming issue), in response to which we offered to assist the Malay family in making an application for funding under the procedures available within the existing Deeds of Co-Existence,” it said."

The profile and history of Sally Malay, (the Man), has certainly been raised since the mine commenced. I have lived in the Kimberleys for many years now and whilst I had heard of Sally, it wasn't until four or five years ago that I actually looked a bit deeper into who and what he was.........prompted of course by the start up of the mine.
    The head office in Perth is actually called "Sally Malay House"

watchlist Created with Sketch. Add SMY (ASX) to my watchlist

Currently unlisted public company.

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.