AUL 0.00% 28.5¢ austar gold limited

national park is a great outcome, page-6

1. 725 Posts.
    thanks Fakeshark.. and one more bit

Mount Mulligan was a coal mining town that ceased to exist in 1958. The town derives its name from the mountain where it is located. It was named after James Venture Mulligan who sighted the mountain in 1874. Gold was discovered on the Hodgkinson River during Mulligan's 5th expedition in 1876. The discovery of gold brought a rush of prospectors to the area with camps and small settlements along the Hodgkinson river.
    The gold was never rich and people left disappointed with only a handful of gold scratchers left. From time to time small revivals occurred in hard rock mining. Abandoned mine shafts and rusting machinery can still be seen today. Find out more about some of the nearby settlements like Woodville etc

Coal was discovered in the mountain in 1907. Commercial mining of coal commenced in approx. 1914. Coal was never very profitable as the method of mining was very expensive and labour intensive. The low quality of the coal and transport problems ensured a slow decline of the township.

In its brief life of 50 years it had experienced one of Queenslands worst mining disasters. A historical marker erected recently tells about this disaster. "On Monday 19th September 1921 at 9:25 there was a loud explosion in the mine which killed 75 men. the explosion was heard 60 kilometers away at Mount Molloy".
    The town had a reticulated water system, and electricity. It had a school, two cricket pitches, two tennis courts, two hotels, Jack & Newells store, Billiards room, bakery, hospital railway station and police station. Population at the time of the mine explosion was approx. 350 in 1921. There were two coal mines in operation, the state owned Mount Mulligan mine and the privately owned King Cole. Remains of the town can be explored quite easily with streets, walkways and the typical ghost town debris of white ant eaten house stumps and roofing iron. The only remaining intact building is the hospital which is occupied by the former property owner of Mt Mulligan Station.

watchlist Created with Sketch. Add AUL (ASX) to my watchlist

Currently unlisted public company.

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.