NWT 0.00% 11.5¢ newsat limited

nbn co wants newsat, page-21

1. 385 Posts.
    sb1964,

I'm sure they will reinstate the post. And even if they don't, it's no big deal anymore. All has been clarified and thy is back. Not sure why he got banned but that's another matter. I was deeply concerned about an article that may not be legit so swift action is indeed needed by HC staff. These things can get out of hand quickly and cause a lot of trouble for HC themselves. The rules are rather tough these days.

In regards to your latency question: No. This has not been resolved. And to be honest, I can't see how this would be possible. Yes, technology is advancing daily and things get resolved all the time with faster more efficient solutions. However, here we are up against a very basic rule... The mother of all rules in physics. The speed of light and the impossible task to be any faster than that.

What has been done in the past to reduce the latency problem is rather simple. The TCP/IP protocol has been "twisted and bent" or even replaced with something more efficient so that the acknowledgement part is left out. This saves 2 trips but that's about it. If you look at the problem you will see that in the end you will always have to send something up and then wait for it to return. That's quite a trip even for something that travels at the speed of light. A satellite sits 36000km above the equator to maintain a geostationary position. At the speed of light it still takes 0.25 seconds to complete a round trip. And that's just how it is. Nothing can ever be done about that until we finally break the speed of light barrier. Not saying it may never happen... But it is somewhat unlikely. :-)

Now this isn't really that big a deal. I'm just trying to point out that the problem itself can't be easily fixed. Not with today's technology.

But hey, who cares. Not me. I'm sitting on board the NWT rocket. It will hopefully take off faster than the speed of light. :-)

Good luck!

watchlist Created with Sketch. Add NWT (ASX) to my watchlist

Currently unlisted public company.

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.