TLS 0.76% $3.92 telstra group limited

It seems Bartholomeusz...

1. 307 Posts.
    It seems Bartholomeusz agrees.
    http://www.businessspectator.com.au/bs.nsf/Article/Telstra-national-broadband-network-NBN-HFC-T-Box-pd20091119-XX8A5?opendocument&src=rss

unless households are going to run half a dozen capacity-hungry applications at once the NBN speeds will be largely irrelevant to most of its users, at least for some significant period.

The inescapable fact is that for most the extra speed is a complete waste of money for them to spend on . Consumers are not willing to embrace even adsl 2+ speeds. Adsl 2+ can give speeds UP TO 20mbs but only if very close to the exchange. Yet the speeds are enough for most users. But now only 5 % think they need this speed enough to put their hands in their own pockets. Oh sure they would love to have it connected " just in case I need it" but the vast majority are not willing to put their money where their mouth is.

Whether or not 100mbs is achievable over future wireless networks or not as Bonza suggests, the fact is the NEED for this speed is not there now and in the foreseeable future. No doubt in 20 years there may be a need for such speeds but by then technology will have reinvented itself many times and the cost of supplying the speeds would be a fraction of the proposed NBN cost.
    I remember thinking what a great deal I got when I first purchased a pentium computer for $3000 many years ago. Within 18 months I was able to purchase a pc with 3 times the speed for half the price. At the time I thought I was future proofing myself, years later I laughed at the PC's performance.

The bottom line here is we dont need the NBN now , there is no demand. If we wait , then we can only benefit cost wise by the falling prices of technology.
    The ONLY reason to be getting an NBN now is to FEED THE EGOS of a number of politicians who want to give australia a "hoover dam like" legacy.

watchlist Created with Sketch. Add TLS (ASX) to my watchlist
(20min delay)
Last
$3.92
Change
-0.030(0.76%)
Mkt cap ! $45.29B
Open High Low Value Volume
$3.92 $3.94 $3.90 $79.14M 20.19M

Buyers (Bids)

No. Vol. Price($)
2 11833 $3.91

Sellers (Offers)

Price($) Vol. No.
$3.92 408977 7
View Market Depth
Last trade - 16.10pm 04/09/2024 (20 minute delay) ?
TLS (ASX) Chart
arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.