NTC 0.00% $1.10 netcomm wireless limited

It seems to me the purpose was to acknowledge that HFC has been...

1. 130 Posts.
    It seems to me the purpose was to acknowledge that HFC has been adopted (which was already recommended in a strategic review released in December 2013) and any new FTTP connections are effectively dead. So basically if you haven't got FTTP now you are going to get whatever is the most cost effective option based on existing infrastructure etc etc.

I don't think you can accurately deduce anything from this specific press release relating to fixed wireless rollout (besides that it isn't decreasing). Im still expecting more to go to fixed wireless when the corporate plan is released next year.

Why?

Fixed wireless was always competing with FTTN ever since Turnball announced his multi technology model. FTTN is nothing new its being accepted for the past few years and was a considered alternative in the fixed wireless review (which still recommended a larger rollout of fixed wireless as its primary recommendation).

In the outer surburbs ie those on acre blocks FTTN is still an expensive option vs fixed wireless. My understanding is if you are any further than a few kms from the NBN node speed degradation on the copper line is horrendous...even more noticeable with VDSL than ADSL.

So unless you want to invest in a huge amount of NBN nodes in these areas (costly and slow to roll out) the speeds aren't going to be sufficient to justify the investment vs fixed wireless.

So my personal view is fixed wireless rollout will continue to creep on the outer suburbs. This is also supported by the recent purchase of 3.5Ghz spectrum by NBN in August from Optus/ACMA for fixed wireless in outer metro areas adding a further 80,000 homes to fixed wireless rollout. Turnball's not spending the money on spectrum to reduce the fixed wireless rollout!!

http://www.itnews.com.au/News/391240,govt-to-use-35ghz-for-metro-nbn-spectrum-gap.aspx

In any event I think the best indication over the past month is our chairman has been buying NTC stock. He also sits on the board of NBN. Don't think he would be buying aggressively (both $100k @ 69cents and $100k @ 54 cents) if he saw risks to fixed wireless.

Bring on the corporate plan!

watchlist Created with Sketch. Add NTC (ASX) to my watchlist

Currently unlisted public company.

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.