TLS 0.52% $3.86 telstra group limited

nbn investment - bandwidth needed?, page-19

1. 661 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 69
    Glug - more interesting numbers there, and another thumbs up although it did not rate so must have been downed maybe?

The recording while watching is an issue I remember from a long time ago when Mum liked watching Coronation street when the good stuff was on the other channel.

I understood though that the whole idea of internet TV was you could watch what you wanted when you wanted, no need to record because you can watch it direct from the station any time later. So I am not sure it will be a big issue most of the time.

The article on HD movie downloads was interesting, but I have not really noticed quality of a highly compressed movie being much smaller than on DVD it was recorded off. I think it underestimates the compression factor. Movie compression is 3d, (well actually a fractal), so small changes in quality/compression efficiency give much higher size compression. Also compression is very efficient for still scenes/backgrounds, less for fast moving (you see when you pause, however the dvd is blurred anyway with the motion so no real loss there.

A constant compressed bit rate is not really indicative - what is the space saving on a 90 minute DVD showing 270 of my holiday photos, compared with a 90 minute action flick? at HD resolution my photos are only 2MP so 540MB saved with no compression.

"Transmitting HDTV signals in real time, using the telecommunications industry's usual MPEG-2 compression standard for moving images, means sending data at 18 to 20 Mbps. " (More info on this below).

For a 2MP (1070P) image 50 fps that is very bad compression, maybe the hardware inside the TV's will improve for IPTV...

Also where is all this going to be sourced from, if from what I understand it the US/UK is going to have a NBN at 10MBPS minimum, then content will be more for that kind of bandwidth?

I guess on the HD video arguments it is possible to use more than 10Mbps in a household, as you have shown. Whether it is required or not ... Shouldn't this be the argument for the NBN then, not all the other stuff about health, hospitals, monitoring, education, keeping in contact with people... it is all just an entertainment upgrade - costing $7,000 per household!

watchlist Created with Sketch. Add TLS (ASX) to my watchlist
arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.