TLS 1.38% $3.67 telstra group limited

I agree that there may be quicker short term solutions, but I am...

1. 24,044 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 1
    I agree that there may be quicker short term solutions, but I am not sure if it would cost us more in the end when we go the next step.

Wasn't the original NBN plan going to be a quicker and cheaper option?
    It was then changed to the present NBN plan. I assume that they believed that the new plan, despite the initial extra cost, was seen to be better for numerous reasons.

Mind you, despite the downside to a short term cheaper alternative, I would like a faster Broadband connection now.

The fastest reliable speed we have been able to get is well under 2Mbps. (Outer Eastern Melbourne suburb)
    According to speedtest.net it would take us 60 minutes to download an 800Mb Movie, so that would equate to about 6 to 10 hours to download a DVD.
    No chance of a live HD video stream at this house.

The BT example has some short comings, apart from BT's plan not meeting the EU's targets for Broadband by 2020.

The 40Mbps is the top speed and can vary from 15 Mbps to 40 Mbps depending on line length.
    An ISP using BTs 40Mbps network is advertising average speeds of 25Mbps, but did not state what the minimum speeds that would be achieved.

Like with all figures they can be presented in lots of different ways.

Here is one take on the costing figures.

Australia's population 22,272,000.
    Public money for NBN $27Bn = $1,213 per capita.

Minus the $11Bn payment to Telstra that BT does not have to pay in their costings.

That means $16Bn of public money for the NBN = $718 per capita for a far superior Broadband network that will not need to be upgraded as soon as the BT network would.

I have not included the self funding portion of the NBN costs.

So the figures could be shown to be good or bad depending how you want to present them.

BT FTTC plan has a large cost difference by using shared fibre optic cable to the cabinet.

The population and area spread of the BT network would be a lot different to Australia's area and spread of population.

This also may be how per capita cost is less.

We know that if the NBN only did the Gold Coast, that the cost per capita for the Gold Coast would be less than the cost per capita for Australia.

BT have said that they will need Public money down the track to make the network profitable.

Apparently the 1.8m tall, dark green boxes required to deliver 40Mb fibre-to-the-cabinet broadband services - are "huge ugly things and a blight on the street scene".
    ...They don't have to be dark green, do they?..

Always interesting to find out what Broadband problems other countries have and how they are approaching those problems.

I have not had a chance to track down more information on the IFA show in Berlin to see what was being previewed.

"...Internet-connected devices and services currently being previewed at the IFA show in Berlin, such as high-definition 3DTV and TV sets with built-in video conferencing, according to the FTTH Council Europe."

watchlist Created with Sketch. Add TLS (ASX) to my watchlist
(20min delay)
Last
$3.67
Change
0.050(1.38%)
Mkt cap ! $42.40B
Open High Low Value Volume
$3.65 $3.67 $3.64 $114.4M 31.28M

Buyers (Bids)

No. Vol. Price($)
7 25183 $3.66

Sellers (Offers)

Price($) Vol. No.
$3.67 951072 44
View Market Depth
Last trade - 16.10pm 04/07/2024 (20 minute delay) ?
TLS (ASX) Chart
arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.