when I was a young feller Joe, I worked in a facility that was...

1. 41,152 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 642
    when I was a young feller Joe, I worked in a facility that was called a "hospital". in its care were roughly a thousand people from 18 months old to 70 somethings. All locked away safe and sound(less) ..... until the time I started there a book was published that told of an inarticulate girl called Annie, autistic and institutionalised since 5 yrs age who, when she had access to a typewriter when she visited a nurse's home on a day trip, nurses were encouraged to take "kids" home occasionally. (which is where some atrocities occurred but we won't get with that) ... anyway Annie had been to the small school at the hospital and had picked up some letters and started to type.

Annies Coming Out changed the way autism is seen and many other disabling conditions too. it resulted in de-institutionalisation and we now have people who were once locked away living productive and actively contributing lives. John Steele-Smith, regardless of his politics, would had lived his whole life in one of those abhorrent places.

Autism numbers are a large cohort of applicants. you did get it that they aren't referring to all male children I hope, only 32% of NDIS applicants. eventually the ability to receive adequate support, its pretty hard to get therapeutic supports with many being refused, and will be able to live well and contribute to national productivity and tax revenue..

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.