KEY 0.00% 0.1¢ key petroleum limited

need seismic..., page-21

1. 15,276 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 45
    backontrack...

There will be oil somewhere in Tanzania...they have seeps all over the place and numerous oil shows in the cuttings...just nothing commercial yet.

Kiliwani North was also intended as an oil target...whilst they have condensate in the gas, which releases as the pressure drops at surface...and indeed oil shows in the cuttings from higher up (Paeocene Sandstones?), they were clearly disappointed in this regard.

I understand though that some areas are more prone to gas then oil...due to the fact the conditions required for one were more dominant than the other.

It all comes down to the kitchen...the depth, heat and pressures available during the right geological time window, where the kerogen "cooks" (oil window 60°-120°C, gas window 120°-150°C), then once it as transformed, migrates out of the source rock, rising or moveing laterally under pressure, till it eventually gets trapped in a geological reservoir.

As for drilling deeper at Kiliwani...I believe once they hit basement they basically stop, as there is pretty much nothing expected below this level that would fall into the right time/reservoir window.

This is my understanding anyway?

Cheers!

watchlist Created with Sketch. Add KEY (ASX) to my watchlist
arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.