I would focus on Townsville..... if I were investing in QLD and...

1. 17,233 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 954
    I would focus on Townsville

..... if I were investing in QLD and holding for the next 10 years or so.

The stats on population movement to the area over the next 10 years is very good, and with a very tight rental market, will make u good returns I believe.

I know of several builders up that way that haven't got enough stock to service the demand.

Thats when u know its time to buy.

Im heading uop there in a month.

Any info I will happily present to you.

Or anyone else who is interested.

A little read for you below....

TOWNSVILLE is a place where people love to live and the region has a growing need for new houses and better facilities.

Population growth is a fundamental driver of demand for homes. A major piece of the puzzle, when revealing the Top Five future residential zones, is population growth.

Population growth in Townsville remains the strongest in North Queensland and our estimates for the next five years have Townsville growing by 26,528 to more than 196,000.

Director of research and consulting at Colliers International Townsville Colin Dwyer said the ABS population estimate for Townsville and Thuringowa in June 2007 was 169,484.

"The provisional estimated growth for the region is 2.7 per cent. Colliers International Research Townsville estimates Townsville's population in March 2008 was likely to be around 171,616,'' Mr Dwyer said.

"Population growth is also a key criteria for property investment and Townsville's population growth is remarkable. To put it in perspective the national population growth rate was 1.5 per cent and Queensland's as a whole was 2.2 per cent in 2007.

"The Townsville region remains one of the fastest growing in the nation and state and in North Queensland.

"Over the past 10 years Townsville's population growth has been outstanding. From a low of 1301 in 1997, to an amazing 4529 last year attributed to a baby boom and robust employment opportunities that have encouraged strong net migration.

"Net migration has more impact on housing demand than net natural increase. After allowing for healthy new baby numbers we estimate about 40 people per week on average arrived via net migration in 2007.

"In 2010 we expect Myer to commence operations in Townsville creating substantial construction and permanent retail jobs. Townsville is also expecting a battalion of 800 soldiers accompanied by 700 support staff. There are numerous other projects or employment drivers around Townsville.''

These `employment drivers' are likely to increase 2010's population growth estimates significantly; that's in addition to current population growth patterns of around 4500 per annum, he said.

"If the region continues to attract new residents and maintains a healthy natural increase then Townsville's population is likely to be around 196,000 in 2012,'' Mr Dwyer said.

"We also need to consider the population multiplier effects of the battalion, Myer and other employment/population drivers. Our conservative estimated population for Townsville in 2016 is about 216,000. This is an extra 46,000 new residents in about 10 years.

"Population growth is not the only piece in our puzzle but it is a big piece. Given Townsville's tight rental rate, these population growth numbers will obviously bring significant economic changes to Townsville and present solid fundamental investment information. Strong population growth usually leads to increased demand for new dwellings."

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.