hi dave -- well, if we all agree that very low interest rates...

1. 80,771 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 75

hi dave -- well, if we all agree that very low interest rates starve off the need to be efficient and productive - which seems terribly logical -

then surely -- just continually increasing property taxes - or any taxes - just breeds inefficient governments????

to me - if we look at one sort of property tax --------------- stamp duty -- and, say we look at Victoria -

then, oh, boy -- are they stuck fast on the property teat -- superglued to the nipple -

and, are they efficient? ------------- well, sure doesn't look that way.

So - if we say eg. doubled stamp duty ---- would this make them more efficient or less??

Clearly not more.

There was a very interesting section in Michael Moore's 'Where to invade next'

forgetting his political leanings and whether one likes him or not or thinks he is a nut or not --

they put up information on the difference between what Americans get from their government for their taxes paid - compared to what a lot of Europeans get from their governments for their 'higher' taxes paid --

it really gives one cause to think - and, I think it's well worth a look at the movie just for that bit.

Now - that doesn't mean that just giving governments more money is a good thing --

it CAN be a good thing - if they provide more services and if they make services efficient - but, if they don't give more services or more efficiencies (which would mean they spend on something else with money saved) - then all they do is waste far more than they had in the first place.

I have just been watching the first seasons of 'Yes Minister' ------------- that really was a deadly accurate portrayal of government - and, what an interesting look at the history of Britain getting into bed with the Europeans - particularly in the light of them getting out of bed at present.

That show so far is timeless and right on target - which is of course - the reason why the show was just so popular and enduring.

Pretty scary stuff really.

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.