Neg gearing - Gone?, page-284

1. 11,213 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 1
    Randwick would be dearer and I don't know whether or not they looked around Malabar/Eastlakes, probably not. Her husband is able to ride his pushbike to work from Kingsford which is a plus, provided he gets there in one piece. Malabar would have been further and being close to Longbay gaol, not so good in terms of investment potential. They are managing, not big spenders at all, except for a nanny a few days a week and pre-school. Niece only works a couple of days a week now, but brings in big bucks for the time she does do. At least the younger generations have had super from day one, have grown up with computers and for females, knowing they won't just be at home once married, but at the same time having access to a far greater choice in terms of what they choose as a career.

A friend from schooldays went for a job interview with a multinational oil company back in the day and they told her they did not employ women. She had an economics degree, but her sex was the problem. That just doesn't happen now being illegal. How quickly the government forgets as it removes the safety net and we see that the fastest growing group of homeless are single/divorced women 50+ years of age.

In my day a couple with the careers of my niece and her husband would have been able to afford to buy a much, much better house in a nicer area. Unfortunately, the greater the population density of a country, the lower the living standards get and despite having tiny population for our size we have 90+% of the population living along the coast. That said I'm moving to the country when we sell our house which is on the market now. Looking forward to minimal humidity and real seasons.

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.