The problem is not with NG, it is with the CGT system. If money...

1. 6,799 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 292
    The problem is not with NG, it is with the CGT system. If money is borrowed for an income producing asset/business, then there is no rational reason to differentiate between different asset classes.
    If you do , you just introduce distortions in the way capital and labour is used in the economy.
    I would like to see a return to the pre 50% discount days, ie tax the real increase[adjust for inflation] in capital gains, with a broadening of the CGT rollover relief system.
    And not because of some "hit the rich", or raising more taxation agenda, as I think the money they plan to get from these changes will prove to be illusory.
    I'm more interested in our country having a tax system which encourages efficient allocation of investment to productive enterprise, rather than one which, in my view ,favours asset speculation.
    Labor's changes only go partially towards this, and I dislike the "new building" clause, but better at achieving the aims I'm after , than the dissappointing , do nothing approach ,from the libs.
    Will I vote Labor?
    If I only I could be less afraid they will stuff up the implementation, or allow their union affiliations to have an adverse effect on their policies.
    As well, a Turnbull defeat would open the door for a quick return of the right wing crazies to power in the Libs ,if they do stuff it up. So probably not.

Disclosure: I'm a libertarian ,centrist, free market marketeer.
    Which just means, that pretty much everbody hates me.

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.