Nemesis 2 Worst kept secret. Dutton is a thug., page-8

1. 84,345 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 75
    combine that with federation - 6 states pulling their own way pretending to try to fly in formation -

and what have we got??????

IMO - an unworkable mess.

The way I see it is that most know that federation is a dud - but, no one has got an answer for what to do with it

Hawke thought that federation was a dud and states should be dumped - but, in all Hawkes popularity - he never did anything about it as far as I know - nor, more importantly did he have any idea how it could be done (I might have that wrong, but nothing I've seen)

former Prime Minister Bob Hawke expressed the idea of abolishing the states in Australia. In his 1979 Boyer Lectures, he referred to the states as a "dangerous anachronism" and advocated for their elimination, describing them as a "needless duplication of resources" and "hurting Australians every day"
    . This proposal has been a topic of debate, with Hawke's call for the abolition of state governments receiving both support and opposition

He did say what he thought would work - but, not 'how' to achieve it

He proposed a model of federalism that would replace the states with a centralized government and strengthen local governments based on geographical boundaries
    . This idea has sparked both support and criticism, with discussions on the potential benefits and challenges of such a significant constitutional reform

Now, that to me sounds very much like how France runs and I've suggested that one before - which I called government by location ------ and that's got huge advantages --------

ties in with many right wing callers for all aussies to be treated the same ------------ so, no more 'tick the box' if you are a black fella or you are in an aboriginal town ----------- all that is gone - which is what it is in France - all of that kind of identification is strictly illegal -

you goven by location - so if an area in a city has a housing problem - you concentrate more resources there - but, if an area out the back of the boonies, west of Walkabout Creek has a housing problem - same deal - focus resources there.

you get rid of all the state differences and you govern nationally - but, you have strong local governments

the problem for Australia is NOT that there are better ways - the problem for Australia is how the hell do you get change done ------------ it's huge change - and it's got republic written all over it -

but, republic isn't a simple thing - yes or no ----------- the big deal is WHAT KIND OF REPUBLIC

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.