A2M 0.44% $6.85 the a2 milk company limited

nestle - doing A2 infant formula, page-33

1. 1,171 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 290
    MF's contribution

The A2 Milk Company Ltd (ASX: A2M) share price has dipped 6% to $12.25 this morning after the NZ Herald reported that international giant Nestle has entered the fight for the Chinese infant formula market.

Nestle confirmed that it was launching an a2-only product under its Illuma brand in China, called ‘Atwo’, which we assume is pronounced ‘A2’ not ‘at woe’.

A2 milk is based around the perceived health benefits (and growing scientific evidence) of a2 milk protein milk, versus normal milk which contains a1 and a2 proteins. Sadly for a2 shareholders, the company doesn’t have a monopoly on the process and it is possible for competitors to create their own a2 herds and manufacture various products.

Nestle is one of the 100 largest companies in the world and is serious competition. An a2 spokesman was quoted in the NZ Herald as stating “(a2) has been monitoring a number of companies operating in China and considers that new entrants should assist in building credibility and awareness for the A1 protein-free proposition, and hence build the overall category more quickly,” with the argument being that a2 will be the primary beneficiary of growing product awareness.

That may be so but it’s also prudent for shareholders to consider the impact of growing competition on volumes and margins. I don’t see any incentive to compete on these quite yet, with Chinese demand still immature and growing rapidly, but as the market matures, differentiators like brand and price will become more important.

The potential for increased competition is something I have written about before, and with the entry of Nestle I think it is important for shareholders – and more importantly, today’s buyers – to keep one big truth in mind:
    Trees don’t grow to the sky.

watchlist Created with Sketch. Add A2M (ASX) to my watchlist
(20min delay)
Last
$6.85
Change
-0.030(0.44%)
Mkt cap ! $4.952B
Open High Low Value Volume
$6.93 $6.98 $6.83 $10.27M 1.490M

Buyers (Bids)

No. Vol. Price($)
7 18844 $6.84

Sellers (Offers)

Price($) Vol. No.
$6.85 41602 1
View Market Depth
Last trade - 16.10pm 15/07/2024 (20 minute delay) ?
A2M (ASX) Chart
arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.