NEU 3.32% $20.52 neuren pharmaceuticals limited

Neuren Media and Analyst Coverage, page-490

1. 5,869 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 17400
    When Sarepta’s Exondys 51 was launched in 2016 and market penetration and sales for the first full year were being estimated, a Leerink analyst expressed scepticism of other analysts’ modelling. Market consensus was modelling $215m sales in FY2017, which would have represented 19% market penetration.

The Leerink analyst argued that only a very small handful of rare disease drugs had ever breached the 20% penetration mark in their first full year of launch. He was tipping FY 2017 sales of $101m. Ultimately, the Leerink analyst fell well short in his first year sales estimate (it was actually $154m) but was right about Exondys 51 not reaching the lofty height of 19% market penetration in the first FY. Nevertheless, Exondys 51 was considered by the industry to be a highly successful orphan drug launch.

Which brings me to Daybue and analyst predictions.

In 2019, I highlighted an analyst’s predictions for trofinetide in Rett syndrome. Following an estimated December 2022 approval, the analyst was predicting just $57m for the second full year of sales  - that is, in 2024. “Peanuts”, according to the analyst.

Acadia’s only other asset is the insulin-like growth factor 1 regulator trofinetide, which the sellside sees making just $57m in 2024 in the neurological condition Rett syndrome – peanuts compared with a forecast total of $1.7bn for Nuplazid.

I’m not sure what analysts were predicting shortly after approval for Daybue’s first full year on market. Probably nothing as high as the 19% market penetration estimated for Exondys 51.

Well we’re not at the end of 2023 yet, yet alone 2024. The Evaluate analyst’s 2019 estimate of $57m for the second full year of sales has been blown out of the water by the ~$67m sales already reported in just the first full quarter. And 19% market penetration of US-registered Rett patients has already been achieved by the end of the first full quarter of sales.

I suspect that most analysts will have been caught off-guard by the success to date of Daybue’s launch. Who knows, some may even start recommending NEU to clients as their amazing new "undiscovered" stock tip!

watchlist Created with Sketch. Add NEU (ASX) to my watchlist
arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.