SMM 0.00% 0.5¢ somerset minerals limited

new call to allow u mining in qld

1. 896 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 52
    From the SMH, 8/9/05

Queensland is missing out on valuable exports and jobs by not developing uranium mines, Liberal senator Russell Trood says.

Senator Trood has joined growing calls from within the coalition, and sections of the Labor Party, for an expansion of uranium mining.

He said demand for uranium was growing, with China predicting a four-fold increase in nuclear power production and India planning 24 plants over the next few years.

But Australia's three-mine policy and opposition by state governments to issuing uranium mining licences was limiting growth in the industry.

"There are actually tremendous opportunities for uranium mining in my own state of Queensland," Senator Trood told parliament.

"The Queensland Bureau of Mining and Petroleum has identified 32 uranium deposits across the state and indeed four mine in north Queensland could begin production immediately if they were given the go-ahead."

Senator Trood said the development of mines near Mount Isa, Georgetown and Townsville would have several benefits.

Advertisement
    Advertisement"It would serve to meet the growing demand on the world market, it would bring millions of dollars in investment to local communities, it would bring hundreds - perhaps thousands - of jobs to regional Queensland and help to underpin its long term future," he said.

But no development would occur without the Beattie government issuing mining licences.

Mr Beattie recently told the Queensland parliament uranium development would undermine the state's coal industry.

But Senator Trood said most of Queensland's coal was for steel production, with only a third used for electricity generation.

Industry Minister Ian Macfarlane also joined the uranium debate, saying the global surge in resource prices meant there was a "real opportunity" to increase uranium exports.

"It is an opportunity begging with uranium prices at a 20-year high and expected to climb further," he said.

"This government is determined to see export opportunities maximised and in doing so, of course, pay due heed to the environmental, indigenous, safety and non-proliferation safeguard issues."

Labor resources spokesman Martin Ferguson recently called for a change of Labor policy on uranium but is facing opposition from key Left faction federal MPs as well as state Labor figures.

watchlist Created with Sketch. Add SMM (ASX) to my watchlist
(20min delay)
Last
0.5¢
Change
0.000(0.00%)
Mkt cap ! $5.154M
Open High Low Value Volume
0.5¢ 0.5¢ 0.5¢ $3.052K 610.3K

Buyers (Bids)

No. Vol. Price($)
6 2973408 0.4¢

Sellers (Offers)

Price($) Vol. No.
0.5¢ 4476156 8
View Market Depth
Last trade - 15.47pm 04/07/2024 (20 minute delay) ?
SMM (ASX) Chart
arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.