ENG 0.00% 89.0¢ engin limited

Why I want an NBNReaders will recall that I have a 3G broadband...

1. 9,572 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 1023
    Why I want an NBN

Readers will recall that I have a 3G broadband service, acquired as an emergency backup for my ADSL service.

In performance terms, it’s currently competitive when at home (although, having just seen a demo of WiMAX over at the Unwired offices courtesy of David Havyatt, it may not long remain so). But in another location, my wife’s occasional office at Crows Nest, it’s a whole different ball game: she would be lucky to be getting much beyond dial-up (which tells me that 3G broadband is popular in Crows Nest).

On that basis, and should we all survive the financial crisis, I’ll be interested to see how Unwired’s WiMAX rollout pans out. The fixed antenna test between Pyrmont and North Sydney was startling, well in excess of 30 Mbps; and even the mobile devices ranged between nearly 3 Mbps and more than 15 Mbps.

Now, a demonstration network doesn’t have to politely share its capacity with a bunch of user simultaneously downloading a couple of Torrents, and nobody provisions a base station to give all its capacity to one user. However, the performance did at least demonstrate that the world won't begin and end with 3G.

http://www.commsday.com/node/285

To say VOiP does not work well with this new Fixed Wiamx is very ill-informed. And this is nothing just wait till Mobile Wimax is rollout. There are already mobile Wimax VOiP phones on the market.
    I guess the guys at commsday are big fans of Wimax

watchlist Created with Sketch. Add ENG (ASX) to my watchlist

Currently unlisted public company.

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.