New way to get elected. Trending, page-29

1. 1,878 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 1
    Scott,

Regarding parties, the solution to the duopoly we currently suffer under is to have multi member electorates like Tasmania. The big parties will probably still dominate. But at least the 10-30% of electors who want something else are not totally disenfranchised as they are in the current system. Hence not favored by the two big bullies.

Donations. I wouldn't ban them as this would drive them underground. However:
    1. limited to registered electors. So no corporate donations (and no tax deduction anyway if they try) and no foreign donations
    2. A $ limit, say $1,000 per elector per year
    3. Real time donation reporting. Either the day received or a very tight deadline say within 3 business days. If not reported in time, then its a donation to consolidated revenue. That will spur them to action.
    4. There would need to be tight control of advertising to prevent workarounds. I have no problem with a Clive Palmer spening his own money but on the scale he is spending it is a distortion of the process

A couple of other changes I would recommend:
    5. A federal ICAC is a necessity for other reasons.
    6. As part of ICAC type reforms, I would suggest that all politicians, not just ministers have open diaries. This details all activities everyday by each member. After any meetings, minutes are published.

regards
    dkit

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.