LPD 0.00% 0.3¢ lepidico ltd

News affecting LPD assets?

1. 4,422 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 1592
    I've seen posts on HC over the years claiming that LPD's LMax process is "clean & green". But is it really? I thought I would start a thread & dig a little deeper to find out.

Firstly lets take a look at where LPD is considering on building an LMax plant, Abu Dhabi.

https://hotcopper.com.au/threads/an...nce-with-gulf-fluor-llc.4751353/#.Xi2KkmfV6M8

Abu Dhabi has one of the worlds highest green house gas emissions per capita!!

https://www.thenational.ae/uae/envi...-to-rise-in-greenhouse-gas-emissions-1.883986

Abu Dhabi population spike linked to rise in greenhouse gas emissions

UN recognises policies already in place but calls for faster and more unified action

Abu Dhabi's rapid economic growth has led to population growth of about a third in less than a decade, in addition to the growth of heavy industry and the oil and gas sector. Mona Al Marzooqi / The National

Daniel Sanderson
    July 8, 2019
    July 8, 2019

facebook shares

Rapid increases in population and economic growth have been contributed to causing a rise in greenhouse gas emissions in Abu Dhabi.
    The results of a major study by a government agency, released on Monday, showed that the release of harmful gases such as carbon dioxide into the atmosphere had risen by 36.6 per cent between 2010 and 2016, an average rise of more than six per cent per year.
    Per capita, Abu Dhabi’s carbon dioxide emissions are among the highest in the world, although the emirate is responsible for less than 0.3 per cent of global emissions, which are a leading cause of climate change.
    Internationally, Abu Dhabi compares more favourably on other measures, such as carbon intensity of electricity production, although it remains slightly above global averages.

It is hoped that a series of government-backed initiatives, most notably the new Barakah nuclear power station, will see emissions stabilise over the next decade and break the link between demographic and economic growth and pollution.
    Experts said they believed it was possible to drive down emissions while still continuing to expand the Abu Dhabi population and economy.
    Dr Thani Al Zeyoudi, Minister for Environment and Climate Change, said plans have been put in place to lower carbon emissions.

Emissions have grown significantly as Abu Dhabi's population has risen by a third in less than a decade. The generation of water and electricity for the population, along with oil and gas production, are major contributors to emissions. Roy Cooper / The National

Continuing on.......

Next, let's take a look at where LPD will source lithium ore from a mine in Karibib, Namibia before it's sent to Abu Dhabi.

Namibia sources most of it's electricity from South Africa which inturn generates it's electricity from coal.

"Namibia imports most of its electricity from South Africa and other countries in the region."

https://www.erongored.com/electricity-in-namibia/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Energy_in_South_Africa

"Namibia's top energy sources are petroleum, hydropower, imported electricity, and imported coal[1]. The country's own internal resources supply less than one-third of its needed energy requirements"

https://energypedia.info/wiki/Namibia_Energy_Situation

The actual mine in Karibib would use electricity made from coal (sourced in South Africa or Petroleum from Namibia) to power the Desert Lion mine which is now LPD's.

Now the equipment on the mine site.

Diesel powered front end loaders.
    Diesel powered bulldozers.
    Diesel powered trucks.

Those dozens of diesel powered trucks would drive to the port in Walvis Bay? A 500km round trip!!

What are the emission standards like in Namibia? Is it to the same standard as Europe or Australia?? Will these vehicles be maintained to that same standard as a mine in Australia, or will they be allowed to blow thick, black, toxic smoke out of their exhausts all day??

Maybe it will be transported on a train? Which one?? An electric train powered from coal or petroleum power stations or a diesel electric train??

Now.....

To transport this lithium concentrate from Namibia to Abu Dhabi will required a fleet of bulk carriers that burn thick, toxic, cancer causing crude like substance that these ships use to power their way across the world's oceans.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heavy_fuel_oil

Also...

A quote from an article on the LPD's "lithium related" thread posted by myself last night.

"CO2 emissions in the manufacture of EV vehicles are around 150% greater than combustion engines — a figure at extreme odds with the green image the industry projects. This ‘dirty secret’ is slowly making its way into mainstream consciousness, forcing vehicle manufacturers to act"

Will global car manufacture apply pressure to battery makers to secure their battery grade chemicals in a more environmentally friendly way?

Will consumers also demand this happen?

Let's take a look at how far away Abu Dhabi is from Namibia via the world's shipping lanes??

https://www.searates.com/services/distances-time/

Shipping.JPG

Almost 11,000 km via ship! That's a lot of CO2 being pumped into the atmosphere!! The ships might return empty, they are designed to carry ore from Namibia to Abu Dhabi, what will Abu Dhabi send back to Namibia??

After the lithium gets processed in Abu Dhabi (a energy intensive fossil fuel country) it then gets loaded back onto a ship & sent to China or Europe. That's where more CO2 & toxic emissions are pumped into the earths atmosphere to make batteries from LPD's LMax process.

So multiple 100,000's, or millions of tons, of CO2 are pumped into the earths atmosphere every year to supply only a single P1 plant in the middle east?

How much will a P2 (or multiple P2 plants) pump into the earth atmosphere if LPD uses this current strategy for their business model??

This whole process sounds very energy intensive!!

Can LPD shareholders really continue to claim on HC that LPD's LMax process is "clean & green"??

There must be a better way!!!

Car manufactures might demand it!!

Will consumers stand for this??

Please DYOR, IMO there are already cleaner & greener ways to produce battery grade chemicals from companies on the ASX & in the lithium market around the world!!

watchlist Created with Sketch. Add LPD (ASX) to my watchlist
(20min delay)
Last
0.3¢
Change
0.000(0.00%)
Mkt cap ! $22.91M
Open High Low Value Volume
0.3¢ 0.3¢ 0.3¢ $1.852K 617.2K

Buyers (Bids)

No. Vol. Price($)
10 8099971 0.3¢

Sellers (Offers)

Price($) Vol. No.
0.4¢ 49805764 46
View Market Depth
Last trade - 11.53am 03/05/2024 (20 minute delay) ?
Last
0.3¢
  Change
0.000 ( 0.00 %)
Open High Low Volume
0.4¢ 0.4¢ 0.3¢ 1000383
Last updated 11.08am 03/05/2024 ?
LPD (ASX) Chart
arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.