AMP 0.95% $1.06 amp limited

The good news is that this is AMP implementing its stated...

1. 86 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 26

The good news is that this is AMP implementing its stated strategy it has clearly stated these asset sales for some time. Well before the issues raised publicly this year. This can only increase confidence in the future in terms of them having a plan and carrying it out.

While not bad news, the more complex issue is determining the impact on shareholder value of these transactions over various timeframes. For example, getting a 6% return, taken in its own, on a few hundred million is not great for shareholder value. The ongoing investment in the life business means that there is still risk - and reward - on the table. I expect the reward to be muted.

One analyst has already expressed a view, a negative one based on reasonable analysis but of course based on certain starting opinions. I expect others will highlight the positives, starting with different opinions or assumptions. 

We will soon see how the market reacts. 

My concern with these sales and and what is probably seen by many as good news is what is going to replace the profit that was produced and overhead cost coverage that was provided by the sold businesses In good years that most likely resulted in the peak price of the share price of AMP in the last 5 years? I suppose it is better to get the share price up to $4, and to make sure it does not go below $3, than hope you can keep all your businesses and go for $5.

watchlist Created with Sketch. Add AMP (ASX) to my watchlist
(20min delay)
Last
$1.06
Change
0.010(0.95%)
Mkt cap ! $2.826B
Open High Low Value Volume
$1.07 $1.07 $1.04 $10.34M 9.764M

Buyers (Bids)

No. Vol. Price($)
8 249192 $1.06

Sellers (Offers)

Price($) Vol. No.
$1.07 372831 21
View Market Depth
Last trade - 16.10pm 20/06/2024 (20 minute delay) ?
AMP (ASX) Chart
arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.