ARL 3.30% 47.0¢ ardea resources limited

News: ARL Wages, activity pick up in Australia's iron ore heartland, page-42

1. 1,544 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 331
    Thanks for your response Flippa.

I have spoken to a few mates who are mets in the industry who indicate that sometimes smelters may add feeds with low or no metal content to achieve suitable blend. Eg adding silica or silica quartz as a flux (with minimal metal content) to get better slagging. Was thinking whether a high Fe (ni laterites) to achieve a suitable blend would be added in a similar way i.e to achieve a better blend.

An interesting paper with Isasmelt guys with a section on smelting nickel laterites:
    http://www.isasmelt.com/en/download...ineering - Oct 2010 - Isasmelt in Ni Appn.pdf

The RKEF process typically treats a low-iron magnesium–aluminium–silicate saprolite material (or sometimes a ‘‘transitional” material); the electric furnace (EF) products are a ferro-nickel alloy for the market (after refining) and a discard slag. In some cases, sulfur is added at the reduction kiln, thus producing a low sulfur matte at the EF which is finished to a Bessemer matte by conventional converting. The ISASMELT™ technology has recently been investigated for the smelting of these type of nickel laterite ores.

While the Isasmelt wouldn't have the strict sizing requirements of the flash smelter assuming it would be possible to screen the material following the drying it may be a less costly way. Certainly a lot of questions on recovery, cost of operation etc but think it is still an open question whether in small volumes it may be possible as part of the overall feed of the Kal smelter.

In any case, I agree the main game is setting up an HPAL plant.

watchlist Created with Sketch. Add ARL (ASX) to my watchlist
(20min delay)
Last
47.0¢
Change
0.015(3.30%)
Mkt cap ! $93.85M
Open High Low Value Volume
47.8¢ 49.5¢ 46.5¢ $9.9K 20.66K

Buyers (Bids)

No. Vol. Price($)
1 8923 47.0¢

Sellers (Offers)

Price($) Vol. No.
49.0¢ 1250 1
View Market Depth
Last trade - 15.59pm 05/07/2024 (20 minute delay) ?
ARL (ASX) Chart
arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.