A2M 0.45% $6.71 the a2 milk company limited

News article (Herald Sun) Baby Formula Bound for China seized

1. 41 Posts.
    Hi guys

thought this article might be of some relevance to  a2m. What I personally gather from this article is two things:

The first is obvious and that is the sheer popularity of Australian products in China. The second is a hypothetical concern. Given the enormity of product being sent overseas via the black market it may be inevitable that the local government may step in to regulate distribution (my own opinion do not act on it at all) or tax products being sent overseas. Local pressure on government to act and local demand pressure on suppliers may have interesting outcomes in the future. Naturally suppliers will endeavour to meet the demand which will hopefully alleviate this pressure.

Have a read for yourselves and form your opinions - would love to get your take.

This was an opinion piece and not advice - seek professional help.
    Authorities swoop on 60 tonnes of Victorian baby formula bound for China

December 28, 2015 10:10am
    ANTHONY GALLOWAYHerald Sun

A female staff member from the factory helps an unknown male load his car. Picture: Lawrence Pinder

AUTHORITIES have seized 60 tonnes of baby formula and milk product bound for China.

A Herald Sun investigation uncovered details of the baby formula seizure, as supermarkets continued to ration purchases for Victorian parents.
    People have been buying infant formula by the car-boot load from a factory in Clayton to send overseas.
    They are loading their cars with boxes of popular brands Aptamil and a2 Platinum from the Clayton warehouse.
    A warehouse employee confirmed they were selling it on to contacts in Asia.
    “We have a company and we sell the product,” she said.

“They (the baby formula) are going overseas.”
    A spokesman for Agriculture Minister Barnaby Joyce confirmed the Department of Agriculture stopped a major shipment from Melbourne in November.

Rowville resident Yvonne Skroubelos and nine-month-old son Dion. Picture: Steve Tanner
    The Department of Agriculture did not reveal why the shipment of formula and milk powder was seized, because of the continuing investigation.
    “The department is investigating a number of recent allegations about noncompliant consignments being exported, but is not able to comment further at this time,” a departmental spokesman said.

“The role of this department is to ensure … goods exported comply with the (law), meet foreign government requirements, (and) are safe and accurately described.”
    Rowville resident Yvonne Skroubelos, who has been feeding nine-month-old son Dion the popular Aptamil formula, said customers should not buy it to export overseas.
    “For my next child I want to make sure there is not going to be a shortage, and I think it is a major concern for any mother,” she said.
    “The baby formula is for mothers to buy in Australia.
    “It’s not fair that they are able to ship it off to China.”
    Demand in China for Australian infant formula has skyrocketed since 2008, when melamine contamination in milk in China saw six babies die and 300,000 fall ill.
    A tin of Bellamy’s Organic, which sells for $25 in Australia, can cost $84 in Shanghai.

watchlist Created with Sketch. Add A2M (ASX) to my watchlist
(20min delay)
Last
$6.71
Change
0.030(0.45%)
Mkt cap ! $4.821B
Open High Low Value Volume
$6.66 $6.74 $6.65 $5.860M 874.4K

Buyers (Bids)

No. Vol. Price($)
4 4537 $6.70

Sellers (Offers)

Price($) Vol. No.
$6.72 1339 1
View Market Depth
Last trade - 16.10pm 08/07/2024 (20 minute delay) ?
A2M (ASX) Chart
arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.