BTU 0.00% 15.0¢ bathurst resources limited

news article, page-28

1. 2,537 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 18
    11. Mining in Conservation Areas—Denniston Plateau

11. CHRIS AUCHINVOLE (National) to the Minister of Conservation: What benefits does he see in the access agreement negotiated between the Department of Conservation and Bathurst Resources for its mine on the Denniston Plateau?

Hon Dr NICK SMITH (Minister of Conservation) : There are both conservation and economic benefits. The conservation benefits come from the extensive and intensive $22 million programme of pest control covering 4,500 hectares on the plateau and its surrounds, and a further 25,000 hectares in the Heaphy Valley in the Kahurangi National Park. I am advised this will result in a net increase in the populations of great spotted kiwi, kaka, and blue duck, as well as native bats and snails, on the West Coast. The economic benefits are 225 direct jobs and $1 billion in export earnings, and will be a welcome relief for a region that has been hit hard by the Pike River mine disaster and the financial woes of Solid Energy.

Chris Auchinvole: Has the Minister received a letter from the Labour Opposition on the issue; if so, is it consistent with other representations he has received on the Bathurst Resources mine?

Hon Dr NICK SMITH: Yes, the letter from the Labour Party is dated 3rd of this month and states “I urge you to take whatever action you can to support Bathurst’s proposed Denniston mine.”, and it is signed by Mr Damien O’Connor. I previously stood on a platform with Opposition environment spokesperson, Maryan Street, who said on this mine: “Leave the coal in the hole.” But what was even more confusing is that after I approved the mine last Friday, Mr O’Connor put out a statement damning the deal.

Chris Auchinvole: What advice has the Minister received on how he should deal with appeals against the Denniston mine?

Hon Dr NICK SMITH: The letter I received on 3 May on Labour Party letterhead and signed by Mr O’Connor said this: “As Minister of Conservation your involvement is crucial to stop the continuous appeals from Forest and Bird against the mine development.” After approving the Bathurst Resources application last Thursday, I received a joint statement from Mr O’Connor and conservation spokesperson, Ruth Dyson, stating that I was riding roughshod over process and that I should give the Royal Forest and Bird Protection Society a further opportunity to oppose the mine. It seems that Labour’s position is all over the paddock—or should I say “plateau”? I seek leave of the House to table a letter I received from the Labour Opposition on the Bathurst Resources mine, dated 2 May 2013.

Mr SPEAKER: Leave is sought to table that letter. Is there any objection? There appears to be none. It can be tabled.

Document, by leave, laid on the Table of the House.

watchlist Created with Sketch. Add BTU (ASX) to my watchlist

Currently unlisted public company.

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.