CMR 0.00% 15.0¢ compass resources limited

news article, page-4

1. 676 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 27
    re: cmr odds on for the yellowcake cup AFR article u mentiond gizard.
    NEWS | MYCAREER | DOMAIN | DRIVE | FINANCE | MOBILE | RSVP Welcome ralph | edit details | member centre | logout

Home | Register | Subscribe | Help | Feedback | Portfolios Legend: = premium | Logout

BREAKING NEWS

MARKET WRAP

COMPANIES

FINANCIAL SERVICES

PROPERTY

I.T.

AUSTRALIA

WORLD

COMMENT & OPINION
    · Letters

SMART MONEY

WEEKLY SECTIONS
    · Enterprise
    · Legal Affairs
    · Professions
    · Marketing
    · Government
    · Perspective
    · Review
    · Education
    · AFR BOSS

SPORT

MARKET TOOLS

ARCHIVE

RESEARCH

SITE SERVICES

AFR SHOP

AFR EVENTS

ABOUT US

SITE MAP

RELATED SITES
    AFR BOSS

AFR Photos

Asset

BRW

CFO

Executive jobs

Fairfax Photos

Fairfax Research

Leverage

MIS

MoneyManager

PartnershipAwards

Personal Investor

Shares

Tradingroom

Quick Search | Advanced Search | Browse Archives Related News Alert Print Entire Page

Uranium decision falls nicely in resources' territory
    Author: James Hall
    Date: 06/08/2005
    Words: 479
    Source: AFR
    Publication: The Financial Review
    Section: Market Wrap
    Page: 44

Companies with uranium deposits in the Northern Territory had a share-price run on Friday after the federal government took over the territory's process for approving uranium mines.
    Energy Resources of Australia, the only Australian Stock Exchange-listed company with an operational mine in the territory, Ranger, rose 68 ? to close at $14.96.

Jindalee Resources, which is spinning off its uranium exploration arm as Energy Metals, and has a prospective site at Bigryli near Alice Springs, was the standout. Its shares rose 9 ? to close at 39 ?.

Far East Capital managing director Warwick Grigor said most uranium-linked stocks had risen strongly during the week on the high global spot price for the fuel, which was near $US30 a pound.

He warned against reading too much into the effect of the federal government's decision.

"All these stocks had been at high levels anyway," he said. "In the last couple of weeks, uranium stocks have been the best performers of any sector due to general speculation and uranium prices."

Compass Resources, which is exploring around Mount Fitch and Rum Jungle, rose 15 ? for a close of $1.35, while Arafura exploring for uranium around the Queensland border rose 2 ? to 36 ?. Deep Yellow, which owns the Napperby and North-East Arunta projects, rose 1 ? to 13 ?. Batavia Mining, which is trying to secure a portfolio of prospects in the territory, rose 0.6 ? to 4.6 ?.

Mr Grigor said the more important issue for investors was whether Canberra's decision was an indication of its intentions for the rest of Australia, amid a parliamentary committee inquiry into uranium's strategic importance.

Paladin Resources, which is building a uranium mine in Namibia, regained its losses from earlier in the week to rise 6.1 per cent on Friday, despite some analysts saying that increased supply of uranium from Australia would make its mine less viable.

Reefton Mining also rose, despite the Namibian Ministry of Mining saying a Reefton-claimed uranium deposit had no commercial value, and accusing the company of drilling without permission.

Mr Grigor said most uranium stocks would continue to move higher. "It's the continuation of the swing of the pendulum towards acceptability of uranium mining.

"Once the trend starts there's not much you can do to stop it. There are obligations on Australia to provide uranium to the world's nuclear power industry and the federal government can see that," he said.

"It's not just about Australia; really the only sustainable significant alternative to greenhouse-gas producing fuels is to go nuclear. Internationally, Australia has to be responsible for that."

ERA's majority owner, Rio Tinto, was down 20 ? to $50.40 after surging earlier in week following its record interim profit result.

BHP Billiton, which owns the Olympic Dam uranium mine in South Australia, was also down on Friday after a week in which it reached record highs above $20.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Back to Search Results Alert me to Related Articles

Fairfax Digital Privacy Policy | Conditions of Use | Member Agreement | Copyright

member centre | network map | mobile | |
    SMH | THE AGE | AFR | Jobs @ MYCAREER | Real Estate @ DOMAIN | Cars @ DRIVE | Dating@RSVP | FINANCE

watchlist Created with Sketch. Add CMR (ASX) to my watchlist

Currently unlisted public company.

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.