CGF 6.54% $7.33 challenger limited

From Motley Fool... Can't see any prospects from the business...

1. 93 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 18
    From Motley Fool... Can't see any prospects from the business fundamental.

Challenger Ltd (ASX: CGF)

The clear annuity leader of Australia has seen its share price fall by around 50% since January 2018. Falling interest rates have hurt profit expectations for the fund manager.

I sold out of my holding because of the low interest rate environment and the uncertainty surrounding how long rates could be low – just look at how long Japan has had low rates.

But, that doesn’t mean it can’t continue to provide attractive dividends and perhaps market-beating returns if people are attracted (or required) to have a guaranteed source of earnings in retirement.

The Challenger Ltd (ASX: CGF) share price has lost 20% of its value since the start of the year. The annuities company’s shares have come under pressure this year after weakness in Japanese annuity sales led to a profit downgrade. Challenger ultimately reported a full year net profit after tax of $307.8 million in FY 2019, which was a 4.6% decline on the prior corresponding period.

Unfortunately, things are expected to remain tough in FY 2020, with management providing normalised net profit before tax guidance of $500 million to $550 million. At worst this implies a year on year decline of 8.75% and at best it implies a 0.3% increase. Given this subdued outlook, I would stay clear of its shares until there has been a sustained improvement in its performance and would sooner buy Australia and New Zealand Banking Group (ASX: ANZ) shares.

Challenger Ltd (ASX: CGF) I’ve sold out of this business as the ultra-low rate environment sees margins, return on equity, profits, and product sales tumble. It looks risky to me and shares are at $7.10 today.

watchlist Created with Sketch. Add CGF (ASX) to my watchlist
(20min delay)
Last
$7.33
Change
0.450(6.54%)
Mkt cap ! $5.065B
Open High Low Value Volume
$7.34 $7.57 $7.11 $22.56M 3.072M

Buyers (Bids)

No. Vol. Price($)
1 1367 $7.31

Sellers (Offers)

Price($) Vol. No.
$7.35 3824 2
View Market Depth
Last trade - 16.10pm 13/08/2024 (20 minute delay) ?
CGF (ASX) Chart
arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.