CGF 1.56% $6.49 challenger limited

I'm very interested in the effect on ROE, I suspect it will be a...

1. 1,490 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 1355

I'm very interested in the effect on ROE, I suspect it will be a lower margin business than direct annuity writing.

@wg159

All else being equal, the US$-denominated reinsurance business will be ROE-accretive, even though it will (self-evidently) entail a slight deterioration in the PCA Ratio.

Margins will almost certainly be lower vis-a-vis direct US$-denominated annuity writing, because MS&AD aren’t going to want to do it for nothing, i.e. they will most likely require from CGF a slightly higher fixed rate than the one they pay to their annuitants.

Given that the 20-year US Treasury yield is more than 50bp higher than the corresponding Australian yield, there is currently a bit more room to extract margin from US$-denominated annuities, though; therefore, CGF’s margins from US$-denominated reinsurance may not be significantly worse than the ones currently achievable from direct A$-denominated annuity writing.

My only concern is the reporting of this business unit & currency exposure. To me we now need to have 3 segments, Life, Funds Management & Re-insurance.

I don’t think so, because CGF are already doing A$-denominated reinsurance for MS&AD, without the need to report it under a separate segment. The net currency exposure is small, and easy to hedge.

Also curious how MS&AD apportion their risk, as part owners of their own re-insurance.

As 16%-owners of CGF (or whatever percentage they’re planning to increase their ownership to), MS&AD are going to retain 16% upside on the portion of risk that gets reinsured, plus a (small) fixed spread corresponding to the difference between the fixed rate they require from CGF and the one they offer to their customers.

Cheers

watchlist Created with Sketch. Add CGF (ASX) to my watchlist
(20min delay)
Last
$6.49
Change
0.100(1.56%)
Mkt cap ! $4.485B
Open High Low Value Volume
$6.48 $6.55 $6.43 $10.39M 1.599M

Buyers (Bids)

No. Vol. Price($)
4 126532 $6.46

Sellers (Offers)

Price($) Vol. No.
$6.50 18756 3
View Market Depth
Last trade - 16.10pm 16/05/2024 (20 minute delay) ?
Last
$6.45
  Change
0.100 ( 1.17 %)
Open High Low Volume
$6.47 $6.55 $6.43 821448
Last updated 15.59pm 16/05/2024 ?
CGF (ASX) Chart
arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.