ILU 1.36% $6.55 iluka resources limited

News: ILU FOCUS-Mine waste finds new life as source of rare earths, page-5

1. 5,437 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 1341
    A sickening display in the AFR today as politicians strut and journalists solemnly intone about Critical Minerals and trusted supply chains.

All gesture toward value add, downstream processing and 'manufacturing' - as though these are superior paths to what Australia currently does.

They are not.

The big money - and all the price up-side - is in mining ore and concentrating it for transport.

Yes, there is a manufacturers' margin in smelting concentrate to metal. But that is all. Any smelter doing better is immediately confronted with fresh rivals ready to compete the excess profits away.

The miners will tell you every instinct, every fibre in their bodies directs them to swim upstream and toward the lowest quartile.

The only reason ILU is developing its Eneabba REE processor is because the government is paying for it with a massive $1.2 billion non-recourse loan.

And the product is still a concentrate to be shipped to China for refining into metal.

TO'L & team are putting up tailings and $US200m. They are accepting no downside.

Australia has high wages and first-world environmental standards. This is good. Yet it makes smelting metal here uncompetitive, even if we are able to get energy costs right down.

Change my mind.

Ash

watchlist Created with Sketch. Add ILU (ASX) to my watchlist
(20min delay)
Last
$6.55
Change
-0.090(1.36%)
Mkt cap ! $2.802B
Open High Low Value Volume
$6.64 $6.70 $6.49 $32.12M 4.920M

Buyers (Bids)

No. Vol. Price($)
4 13610 $6.54

Sellers (Offers)

Price($) Vol. No.
$6.56 55544 5
View Market Depth
Last trade - 16.10pm 28/06/2024 (20 minute delay) ?
ILU (ASX) Chart
arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.