LYC 0.58% $6.88 lynas rare earths limited

News: LYC UPDATE 2-Beijing jabs in US-China tech fight with chip material export curbs, page-29

1. 2,638 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 224
    "Relatively is the key Ga and GE are fairly simple and are actually available from ZN and AU processing"

Yes but in their applications in advanced materials/semi-conductors they need to be produced into incredibly high purity. This is where some of the difficulty lies.
    Rare earths aren't rare, nor are Gallium or Germanium. It's the recovery process, and then beneficiation, separation and finishing that China has a near monopoly on to produce the high grades and finished products for high tech applications that is complicated.
    Hopefully your can agree on this point that this is something they have in common.

I said: "Used in High Tech applications"
    You said: "Yes but in totally different areas and for totally differnt aplications"

Yeah, their different properties do lend themselves to different applications. I think we agree they are different.
    They both seem to be used in high tech electronics.

I spent a bit of time this afternoon reading about Gallium. This seems like a really exciting chemical and the use in high temperature electronics supports miniaturisation and efficiency and it's also used in radars and sensing equipment.
    One of the interesting applications seems to be solar-blind sensors for UV spectrum that could be used both in space and also military target detection equipment. I intend to read more on the topic when I have the time.

"The reasons for the embargo on GE and GA just do not apply to REE "

That's cool if you think that, you should take it up with the author of the Reuters article.
    https://www.reuters.com/markets/commodities/chinas-rare-earths-dominance-focus-after-mineral-export-curbs-2023-07-05/
    Who writes:

"The decision, widely seen as retaliation for U.S. curbs on sales of technologies to China, raised concerns that China might eventually limit exports of other materials, notably rare earths, whose production China dominates."

You should tell them your farm story you posted above about the analogies between rare earths and common agricultural commodities used in breakfast with dozens of substitutes and suppliers and see if they will publish it.

Good luck!

Ps. Is this stuff on your chart joke? "Breack even" (sic) and "Good Profits"
    Come on man...
    Sometimes I wonder if you are a bit clumsy with your spelling and grammar, or whether in fact English is a second language.
    https://hotcopper.com.au/data/attachments/5413/5413452-399d648649d13d7405cf88993723c23a.jpg

watchlist Created with Sketch. Add LYC (ASX) to my watchlist
(20min delay)
Last
$6.88
Change
-0.040(0.58%)
Mkt cap ! $6.430B
Open High Low Value Volume
$6.92 $7.05 $6.83 $13.27M 1.918M

Buyers (Bids)

No. Vol. Price($)
1 966 $6.87

Sellers (Offers)

Price($) Vol. No.
$6.90 18661 4
View Market Depth
Last trade - 16.10pm 03/09/2024 (20 minute delay) ?
LYC (ASX) Chart
arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.