OGC 0.00% $2.20 oceanagold corporation

DENR runs after OceanaGold August 25, 2016 [IMG] The Department...

1. 8,315 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 180
    DENR runs after OceanaGold

August 25, 2016

The Department of Environment and Natural Resources (DENR), acting on complaints of residents of Didipio, Nueva Vizcaya, will issue a a “show cause” order against OceanaGold Philippines, operator of one of the country’s biggest and high grade gold mine.

Data from the Mines and Geosciences Bureau, , OceanaGold’s Didipio mine produced 3,809 kilograms (kg) of gold valued at P6.3 billion and 8,621 kg of silver worth P197 million.

Environment secretary Regina Lopez in a text message to reporters said the agency is issuing the order after the residents and the provincial governor claimed that the mining company is dumping minetailings on farmlands.

“I am not pleased that the community and the governor are super unhappy with their operations. There are complaints of dumping on rice fields, diverting water supply from rice fields,” Lopez said.
    Lopez said the agency will seek compensation for affected residents in Didipio.

“But there has to be due process and I also promised it will not take time. They need to address and compensate the farmers for any kind of damage done and loss of income. The final decision should be in by next week,” Lopez explained.

Jose Leviste Jr., OceanaGold Philippines chairman, meanwhile said the company is prepared to answer the show cause order once received.

“I have not been formally advised. We will wait for the official advice and we will respond to them,” Leviste said yesterday at the sidelines of the Philippine Mining International Conference held in Pasay.

Leviste added he believes there is no reason for the government to revoke the company’s expansion exploration permit since it underwent the right process and has not yet started to mine the new prospect area.

Earlier, the DENR also slapped three other companies with show cause orders and temporarily suspended their environmental compliance certificates (ECCs): the Tampakan gold and copper prospect owned by Sagittarius Mines Inc., Semirara Mining and Power Corp.’s coal mining operation in Antique and Century Communities Corp.’s planned housing project inside the La Mesa Eco Park.

Lopez had mentioned before that DENR’s initiative is not aimed at selected companies but is being done to protect the welfare of citizens.

“We are not political, we are not witch-hunting. It’s large scale, small scale mining, everything. Because it’s the Filipino resources so we have to make sure that it is well utilized… We are evaluating all existing permits and ECCs not only of any particular kind,” she had said.
    Category:
    Business News

watchlist Created with Sketch. Add OGC (ASX) to my watchlist

Currently unlisted public company.

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.