OGC 0.00% $2.20 oceanagold corporation

Residents defend Didipio mines September 06, 2016 Over 200...

1. 8,315 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 180
    Residents defend Didipio mines

September 06, 2016
    Over 200 residents from seven barangays in Nueva Vizcaya where Oceana Gold Philippines’ Didipio mine is operating, recently called on Environment Secretary Regina Lopez to defend the gold mining operations.

They said the mines shut not be shuttered because its operations had brought development in the area.

“We need the mining operations, it is our source of livelihood. We assure Sec. Lopez that we will see to it that the people’s welfare will always be a priority of OceanaGold Philippines while conducting their mining operation in Didipio,” the host barangay’s chairman, Junjun Pugong said.

Lopez told the Nueva Viscaya residents that the mandate given her by the president is to stop irresponsible miners who devastate the land, converting lush farms into veritable wasteland.

“I intend to do just that, not drive out business industry players who follow government standards, respect the environment, pay proper taxes and contribute to the economy of the locality where they operate,” she explained.

The residents said OceanaGold has built farm-to-market roads, schools, scholarships, health services, enterprise development and livelihood and most important, given them jobs.

“This is what we see and experience from OceanaGold, a responsible company that follow government standards, respect the environment, pay proper taxes and help boost the economy” Pugong added.

Earlier, the DENR expressed plans to slap a show cause order against OceanaGold Philippines due to complaints submitted by other residents, Lopez also explained before that the provincial governor also claimed that the mining company is dumping tailings on farmlands.

“Am not pleased that the community and the governor are super unhappy with their operations. Definitely, something is not right otherwise there will not be all these complaints. There are complaints of dumping toxicity on rice fields, diverting water supply from farmlands”, she said.

According to data from the Mines and Geosciences Bureau, last year, OceanaGold’s Didipio mine was able to produce 3,809 kilograms (kg) of gold valued at P6.3 billion and 8,621 kg of silver worth P197 million.
    Category:
    Business News

watchlist Created with Sketch. Add OGC (ASX) to my watchlist

Currently unlisted public company.

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.