STO 0.39% $7.66 santos limited

There is only one undervalued sector left on the ASX, says...

1. 7,237 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 1560
    There is only one undervalued sector left on the ASX, says MorningstarA year into the market rebound, Morningstar thinks there’s only one sector on the ASX left undervalued – and it’s energy.Why are ASX energy stocks undervalued?Energy stocks continued to lag in the early stages of the market recovery as oil prices plunged (briefly falling below zero) and while oil price began to rise again, stocks finished 2020 30 per cent lower than they began.But 2021 commenced with a 3 per cent pop in the first quarter and Morningstar analyst Mark Taylor thinks there’s more growth to come.Taylor sees energy giants Beach Energy (ASX:BPT) and Woodside (ASX:WPL) as 40 per cent below their fair value.“That’s fundamentally because I’m pricing in expansion projects that the market’s probably not crediting at the moment,” he explained to *.Woodside is set to commission a second gas processing train to its Pluto plant in 2025 which will add 38 per cent more to its group output. It also expects a doubling in the gas volume to be delivered to energy company Uniper this year.As for Beach, Taylor is tipping exploration success to be the catalyst as well as the Brent crude price.What about oil prices?While Taylor thinks oil prices could rise further and it could be a catalyst for growth in energy stocks, it uwill be difficult to occur without return of air travel to pre-COVID levels.But he thinks this isn’t important for companies like Woodside, Santos (ASX:STO) and Oil Search (ASX:OSH).“The LNG price they receive is contract linked to the Brent crude price forecast with a one quarter lag,” he explained.“It is important that the oil price is strong and that will have a direct impact on the LNG price.“However, my fair value estimates are based on a US$60 per barrel and the price is marginally above that level.“I don’t need anything to happen to the oil price but it seems like the market needs that demand to come back into play before it’ll be comfortable crediting US$60 into fair value estimates to these stocks for whatever reason.”

watchlist Created with Sketch. Add STO (ASX) to my watchlist
(20min delay)
Last
$7.66
Change
0.030(0.39%)
Mkt cap ! $24.87B
Open High Low Value Volume
$7.59 $7.66 $7.56 $47.99M 6.280M

Buyers (Bids)

No. Vol. Price($)
3 69853 $7.65

Sellers (Offers)

Price($) Vol. No.
$7.66 59336 9
View Market Depth
Last trade - 16.10pm 26/06/2024 (20 minute delay) ?
STO (ASX) Chart
arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.