News: Thousands march demanding change to Australia Day, citing aboriginal injustices, page-30

1. 9,128 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 18268
    Understand what you say but any date is going to annoy some people unless it a non-descript day altogether. I'll go through some:

1. I support a Republic but I can guarantee that were we to become a Republic and that day was chosen as Australia Day the Monarchists would be annoyed.
    2. Jan 1 would annoy the young who like their new years celebrations and want to sleep in, some in WA who didn't join the Commonwealth until a few years after 1901 and then wanted to get out of the Commonwealth altogether in the 30s.
    3. Anzac will upset the other side.
    etc etc

Try moving the 4th of July in the US. I am sure that some Americans also see that as an invasion day but most there are likely to have embraced it. You don't read too much around that date there to what you get here for our day.

So if we ain't wanting to annoy anyone move it to March 30, a non-descript day that has no significance for Australia!! then is it really Australia Day - the Day chosen has to have some historical significance IMO and any such day will annoy people, so do we have one that meets this bill???

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.