News: UPDATE 1-Oprah interview: I'm now free to speak out, says UK's Meghan

1. 184,649 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 2711

(Adds background)

LONDON, March 5 (Reuters) - Meghan, Britain's Duchess of Sussex, said she had given an in-depth interview to U.S. chat show host Oprah Winfrey to be aired on Sunday because she was now free speak for herself now she and husband Prince Harry had quit royal duties.

Meghan, 39, and Harry, 36, stunned the royal family in January last year by announcing they would step down from their official royal roles to forge a new life in California.

That split was confirmed last month, when it was announced they had given an interview to Winfrey.

"We have the ability to make our own choices in a way that I couldn't have said yes (to a previous request for an interview). That wasn't my choice to make," Meghan told Winfrey in an excerpt shown on CBS on Friday ahead of Sunday's broadcast.

"It's really liberating to be able to have the right and the privilege in some ways to be able to say yes ... to be able to just make a choice on your own and just be able to speak for yourself."

In a previous excerpt, Meghan tells Winfrey that Buckingham Palace was guilty of "perpetuating falsehoods" about her and her spouse.

Earlier this week, the Palace said it would be investigating allegations that Meghan had bullied former members of staff, saying it was very concerned about the claims.

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.