VTI 0.00% 13.5¢ visioneering technologies inc.

VIROTEC INTERNATIONAL LTD31 January 2006 UPDATE - I-99 Project,...

1. 59 Posts.
    VIROTEC INTERNATIONAL LTD

31 January 2006

UPDATE - I-99 Project, Pennsylvania, USA

The Directors of Virotec International Ltd (Virotec) (AIM: VTI) provide the
    following update to shareholders relating to the independent review of its Pilot
    Test at the Interstate 99 project at Skytop Mountain, Pennsylvania ("I-99") by
    MWH Americas, Inc. ("MWH").

The independent review by MWH details the background, conduct and results of the
    pilot trial and concludes in its executive summary as follows:

"In summary and based on the data and observations, MWH concludes that the
    pilot trial successfully treated approximately 50,000 cubic yards of acid-
    producing rock raising the pH of surface-water runoff from acidic condition
    (pH less than 3) to near-neutral conditions in contact springs and limestone
    gallery discharge. There were also changes in the bedrock ground water. In
    MWH's opinion the scale of the test was appropriate to the scale of the
    problem to be addressed and yielded valid results.

In terms of the delivery system trialled:

1. The spray application of ViroMineTM to the high permeability fill
    material in the upper portion of the Buttress was effective.

2. Surface application of the ViroMineTM slurry to the limestone
    blanket via the drip system was effective

3. The pressure injection in the horizontal wells was effective at
    adding ViroMineTM slurry to the fill materials under the highway and base
    of the buttress fill."

The Company is satisfied that the independently verified results show, beyond
    any doubt, that the BauxsolTM Technology can provide a high quality remediation
    outcome for the Pennsylvanian Department of Transport ("PennDOT") at I-99.

Professor David McConchie, Virotec's Chief Scientific Officer, states that "the
    I-99 site has many of the characteristics exhibited at the Gilt Edge mine site
    in South Dakota (Superfund site) where BauxsolTM Technology was tested by USEPA
    Region 8 and a single application of treatment reagents has continued to produce
    outstanding water quality results over the five year period since the treatment
    was carried out."

Virotec designed protocols and procedures for the application of its technology
    at the Gilt Edge mine that were administered, applied and monitored by USEPA
    contractors. This has not yet been the case at the I-99 site where it has become
    apparent that there is not a complete understanding of the groundwater sources
    or the geochemistry, permeability and homogeneity of the rock to be treated. To
    steer the project to a successful outcome, a proper understanding of all aspects
    of the I-99 site will need to be compiled and understood before any remediation
    beyond the Virotec demonstration can be achieved.

The Executive Chairman, Brian Sheeran stated "The challenge for PennDOT is not
    only a remediation outcome, it also has to satisfy the apparent political will
    that exists to move part of the contaminated rock from the site. Notwithstanding
    this we believe that Virotec can play a role in the cleanup of the site".

The earthmoving mentality and approach that caused the original problem cannot
    solve it. Crushing contaminated rock and shifting it at enormous cost will
    create a potentially similar problem at the dump site and both acid generation
    and contaminated groundwater will still exist at the original site. Professor
    McConchie explains "that the removal process will result in increased
    fragmentation of the rock resulting in the exposure of more pyrite and
    potentially more rapid oxidation and generation of acidic metal-contaminated
    leachates. Removing the sulfidic waste rock will also expose bedrock, which
    currently underlies the waste rock, to water and oxygen and potentially lead to
    the continuing generation of acidic metal-contaminated water."

Mr Sheeran concludes "Virotec's technology has been successful at the Gilt Edge
    Mine site over five years, and at more than twelve remediation sites in
    Australia and Asia. This experience at site remediation supports our credentials
    and we are now preparing a proposal to manage the whole remediation program at
    I-99 to deliver a cost effective integrated program of predictable outcomes that
    are achievable and sustainable".

The full report from MWH will be available on the Company's web site. If you
    require further information please contact Virotec, on telephone +61755308014,
    by email to [email protected] or visit our website at www.virotec.com. The report
    was provided to the Pennsylvania Department of Transportation on 6 January 2006.

VIROTEC INTERNATIONAL LTD
    ABN 81 004 801 398
    PO Box 188
    Sanctuary Cove QLD 4212
    Australia
    www.virotec.com

watchlist Created with Sketch. Add VTI (ASX) to my watchlist
(20min delay)
Last
13.5¢
Change
0.000(0.00%)
Mkt cap ! $7.43M
Open High Low Value Volume
0.0¢ 0.0¢ 0.0¢ $0 0

Buyers (Bids)

No. Vol. Price($)
2 1602 13.5¢

Sellers (Offers)

Price($) Vol. No.
14.5¢ 8640 1
View Market Depth
Last trade - 10.09am 27/06/2024 (20 minute delay) ?
VTI (ASX) Chart
arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.