WDS 0.00% $25.49 woodside energy group ltd

News: WPL Australia's Woodside cuts presence in Myanmar amid post-coup violence, page-4

1. 1,858 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 394
    The history here is very complex - and not sure if WPL understood the history.
    A whole lot of ethnic groups strung together under one umbrella(Burma) by British colonial rule and on emancipation to democracy in 1947 the ethic divisions resurfaced leading to destabilization and milter rule in 1960. Only to repeat again post 1988 attempt at democracy. And now again we have the same. Until a democratic leader can get the ethnic groups on-board it will continue to fail.

Anyone interested in this history there are some great books eg
    "Burma - The State of Myanmar" by David Steinberg.
    "Burma - Insurgency and the Politics if Ethnicity" by Martin Smith
    "Burma - Prospects for a Democratic Future" Robert Rotberg (Ed).

It a beautiful country with fascinating history and the people are some of the the most receptive and friendliest I have encountered across the world. They are extremely intelligent and self aware, but hampered by a system that they fear and the people who created that system also fear it .

The people desperately need this type of foreign investment along with tourism - sad to see what is happening, although companies like Total stayed the course over the decades. Make no mistake, China will be watching very closely and is heavily invested. What foreigners vacate they will be happy to pick up. When I was in Mandalay 20 years ago there were already more than a million Chinese nationals living there. There is a belief by many academics that China sees Myanmar as its corridor to the Indian Ocean.

I hope WPL just put on-hold rather than exit.

watchlist Created with Sketch. Add WDS (ASX) to my watchlist
(20min delay)
Last
$25.49
Change
0.000(0.00%)
Mkt cap ! $48.39B
Open High Low Value Volume
0.0¢ $25.60 $25.26 $2.297M 83.8K

Buyers (Bids)

No. Vol. Price($)
4 1197 $26.76

Sellers (Offers)

Price($) Vol. No.
$20.52 4084 1
View Market Depth
Last trade - 09.42am 15/08/2024 (20 minute delay) ?
WDS (ASX) Chart
arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.