CDP 1.15% $4.30 carindale property trust

"Presumably management would only deploy the Capital IF they...

1. 16,453 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 8025
    "Presumably management would only deploy the Capital IF they judged the rate of return on that Capital to be sufficient to justify the investment."

Returns on Capital have been on a two-decade secular decline, including during periods where there was no gorilla-sized renovation was undertaken:

CDP EBIT to Assets.JPG

Which means the Return on the marginal dollar converted to Assets is going down, not up.

I've no basis at all to think that graph will magically turn in the opposite direction.

"I thought CDP might be a touch more parsimonious on the last distribution so I've taken their generosity (with our money) as a sign of confidence."

I prefer to perform my own independent assessment on how things stand, as opposed to taking at face value what company executives say and/or do.

My assessment is that a capital crunch looms at some stage, and they are merely kicking the can down the road. At the end of the road a sizeable capital raising awaits.

It's a challenged business model.

"Weren't you muttering something earlier about the need to rein in dividends? Maybe you should ask your new charge to write to management."

If I were a meaty enough shareholder I might put pen to paper in an endeavour to protect my capital by calling for a meaningful reduction in distributions, thereby presenting countervailing argument to my fellow shareholders who - I'm guessing - would overwhelmingly be of a distributions maximisation frame of mind.

But this discussion is circular, because that I might have needed to engage with the board on this sort of thing means I would have made a fundamental investing error to begin with.

And, realising that, I would have sold my shares instead.

watchlist Created with Sketch. Add CDP (ASX) to my watchlist
(20min delay)
Last
$4.30
Change
-0.050(1.15%)
Mkt cap ! $340.8M
Open High Low Value Volume
$4.32 $4.34 $4.30 $37.85K 8.739K

Buyers (Bids)

No. Vol. Price($)
1 5727 $4.26

Sellers (Offers)

Price($) Vol. No.
$4.35 9999 1
View Market Depth
Last trade - 16.10pm 14/06/2024 (20 minute delay) ?
Last
$4.31
  Change
-0.050 ( 0.70 %)
Open High Low Volume
$4.31 $4.34 $4.31 1155
Last updated 13.40pm 14/06/2024 ?
CDP (ASX) Chart
arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.