TLS 0.28% $3.61 telstra group limited

next g politics customers should get involve

1. 726 Posts.
    Of course I am also getting embroiled in the political debate around the closing down of the CDMA network in favour of Telstra’s new NEXT G service. You may catch some grabs in the media on my views about this political brinkmanship.

But let me give you the full story …...

Do I believe Telstra will be able to deliver a NEXT G network, and that it will be better than the CDMA network? Absolutely. The company has thrown the full weight of its reputation behind it, and it will make it work – no doubt about that.

Will it be this year or next? Hard to say, because of the complexity of the network, some problems with handsets, and the sheer size of our country. There is also no doubt that there will be a few customers who might miss out. On the other hand, I am sure many customers who didn’t get the CDMA service in the past (or who got an inferior service) will be pleasantly surprised to find out they get a better NEXT G service.

Also, this network constitutes Telstra’s major regional broadband strategy. We all know how much they don’t like Optus and OPEL, so there is no doubt in my mind that they will deliver on their NEXT G wireless broadband (HSDPA) promises.

So, since it’s all happening, one would ask why the political upheaval? As I mentioned, not everybody might at this stage get equal or better coverage from NEXT G. Telstra has clearly demonstrated that it is only interested in its shareholders, and therefore would be more than happy to sacrifice these people to maximise profits.

So, guess what happens after the switch-off? Guess what happens to those people who are left on their own to fight it out with Telstra?

Furthermore, because of its uncompromising and abusive behaviour Telstra is attracting the wrath of the government. The incumbent continues to needle the government, which is obviously more than willing to strike back.

But this is great for customers.

I have advised all the people in Bucketty who are not receiving the NEXT G service to phone the Minister’s complaint line. It is now or never. Through the Minister regional customers now have a means of making Telstra aware of their plight, and in an effort to get the government off its back Telstra is being more responsive to its customers. So this might lead to an extra mobile tower in areas that are not necessarily in Telstra’s plan for the current NEXT G rollout.

watchlist Created with Sketch. Add TLS (ASX) to my watchlist
(20min delay)
Last
$3.61
Change
-0.010(0.28%)
Mkt cap ! $41.71B
Open High Low Value Volume
$3.59 $3.61 $3.57 $88.57M 24.62M

Buyers (Bids)

No. Vol. Price($)
1 38155 $3.60

Sellers (Offers)

Price($) Vol. No.
$3.61 771370 13
View Market Depth
Last trade - 16.10pm 27/06/2024 (20 minute delay) ?
TLS (ASX) Chart
arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.