MMN macmin silver ltd

I enquired about safety. This answer is from someone who is...

1. 22,691 Posts.
    I enquired about safety.
    This answer is from someone who is close to NGG:

Hello Gerry: I will try to answer to the best of my ability having sat through this type of question on many occasions in presentations given by our Chairman, Bob McNeil.

The majority of our projects are in what is referred to as the coastal areas. The "problems" we typically hear about are in the highlands or in and around the capital of Port Moresby.

PNG was an Australian protectorate and was freely given its independence about 27 years ago. Australia remains its largest trading partner, supporter and guide in areas of fiscal/social ideology.

Work in the coastal areas is quite doable. The population is educated, there are access roads and highways, charter airlines, industrial, farm, tourist and of course mining business. The language is English (albeit with an Australian accent), the government in PNG is democratic with the British parliamentary system in place.

The government encourages outside investment, especially in the resource sectors. Most of the laws and mining laws are based on Australian standards, which as you may have heard are very strict. Our Chairman, Bob McNeil and a director, Peter McNeil, Bob's son (both Australian) are well respected geologists who have over 25 years experience in the country.

Bob was once the head of the mining division in PNG for Exxon when they were involved in mining exploration. Another Director, Alan Matthews, a British mining engineer, used to work for the PNG Mining Ministry and all are therefore familiar with the laws, regulatory process, the culture, language etc.

This is a very important asset for NGG and why we are attractive to other miners who like the "elephant" potential for PNG projects but are unfamiliar with the country.

The highlands area is more problematic for a variety of reasons. The culture is very tribal-based and there have been inter-tribal flare-ups reported. The highlands are isolated which doesn't help dealing with these issues and its people have a reputation for being strident in protecting their investments.

Like anyone else in business, they demand the best deals and are forceful in their requests. Because of the isolation, much work has to be done by helicopter which, while not impossible, makes for more expensive exploration.

The risk/reward ratio must be enough to motivate people to want to work in the highlands and that reward is the price of an ounce of gold and the cost to get it out of the ground.

The recent increase in the price of gold is causing miners and investors to now look to such locales. As well, although we are a Canadian company, the work is managed by our Australian parent, Macmin Silver, and is paid in Kina dollars, the PNG currency. Approximatley $1 Kins is worth about $0.45 cents Canadian so, we get a big bank for our Loonie.

Port Moresby is a large, crowded city that, like any large North American city, attracts people from outlying rural areas looking for work, education and a different life style. The congestion and transience of the population leads to many urban problems faced by other large cities, like Vancouver or Chicago.

I have heard Bob McNeil say that if one is not prepared to be patient, one should not even bother thinking about going into Papua New Guinea. We've been patient for seven years now and hopefully it is finally paying off.

We have a link on our website newguineagold.ca to the PNG Embassy website in Washington D.C. Why don't you take a look at it. You'll be surprised at the modernity and beauty of the country. Even if you don't buy NGG shares, you will have had an opportunity to learn about a wonderful part of the world. Sadly, I've only been an armchair traveller to date.

watchlist Created with Sketch. Add MMN (ASX) to my watchlist

Currently unlisted public company.

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.