Pauline Hanson says Australians want a 'strong' leader like...

1. 33,065 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 9
    Pauline Hanson says Australians want a 'strong' leader like Russian President Vladimir Putin

Updated about an hour ago

VIDEO: Hanson says she "respects" Vladimir Putin (ABC News)
    RELATED STORY: Pauline Hanson advises George Christensen 'stay where you are'
    MAP: Australia

Prime Minister Malcom Turnbull has bluntly rejected Pauline Hanson's belief that Australians are calling out for a leader like Russian President Vladimir Putin.
    Key Points:

• Senator Pauline Hanson says "97 per cent of Russians respect" Vladmir Putin, citing an unspecific opinon poll
    • She has been repeatedly been criticised for her support of Mr Putin, given Russia's involvement in MH17
    • Senator Hanson also advised parents to make their own decisions regarding vaccines, after seeming to link vaccines to autism

In a wide-ranging interview on Insiders, Senator Hanson praised Mr Putin as patriotic, well-liked and an example of the strong leadership many voters wanted to see from their politicians.

Insiders host Barrie Cassidy questioned Senator Hanson on her public admiration for Mr Putin, citing comments she made earlier this month during one of her party's "weekly wrap-up" broadcasts on Facebook.

"I listened to a speech he gave in Parliament," Senator Hanson explained.

"Even the people here in Australia were saying, 'I wish we had a leader like that here, I wish someone would stand up and fight for this country'. That's what the people expect.

"I think he is a strong man and I think what I was reading is about 97 per cent of people in his country respect him as a leader for their nation," Senator Hanson said, citing an unspecific opinion poll.

When Cassidy questioned the credibility of the poll, Senator Hanson quipped: "Do you believe everything you read?"

Senator Hanson then said she "couldn't care less about Russia" and her interests lay here in Australia.

Her comments were criticised by Mr Turnbull, who said Mr Putin's Russia should not be admired by any Australian politicians.

"Vladimir Putin's Russia is subject to international sanction to which Australia is a party because of his conduct in shooting down the [Malaysian Airlines flight] MH17, in which 38 Australians were killed," he said.

"Let's not forget that that was a shocking international crime."

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-03-05/australia-wants-a-leader-like-putin,-hanson-says/8326254

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.