no budget wonderland for housing - steve keen, page-23

1. 19,409 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 56
    Mate I never said I agreed with what you refer to as the bail outs - I simply pointed out that to assume that those organisations would not do anything within their power to prevent a major crash is naive. Probably 90% or more of the money spent as stimulus as part of the GFC was either a waste or a misallocation of funds.

"- First home buyers grants"
    Yep should be phased out over time.

"- Negative gearing"
    If the govt is going to tax all personal income as one then investors have the right to claim losses on their total income. Reality is if the tax system was fairer for those that pay large amounts of tax negative gearing would be unnecessary.

"- Sacred cow status for housing not counted as an asset for welfare payments"
    People need somewhere to live, and if it is your own home it's not earning you any money.

"- Discounts on capital gains tax"
    Should be modified such that shorter term speculators pay more and if you hold longer term 10+ years then you should pay little or no capital gains tax when you sell.

"- Failure to prosecute the institutionalised rorting of deductions on property housing improvements"

Not sure what you are talking about here.

"- A taxation system that taxes income at a punitive rate relative to capital."

Anyone who earns good money in this country is punished by the taxation system.

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.