I think the latter post is a good example of why people rightly...

1. 16,980 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 325

I think the latter post is a good example of why people rightly don't trust a lot of what they hear.

Whether we like to admit it or not history is littered with examples of failure and manipulation of people by those in authority. there are more examples than @hayden8670 has provided - not just on science but other matters as well, and some of your posts (Scott) on other matters show that there are times when you too do not have unlimited trust. what is "good for us" is not always so. What is good for us often has unintended consequences that are very much not good for us.

whether we like it or not that lack of trust has taken a different course from the past because we have a number of mechanisms available to communicate whatever it is we believe. Those communication channels have forever altered the way people listen, gain knowledge and respond. They feed our predispositions whatever they are. of the scientific papers on any topic only a small number are actually available online and for the most part we do not see the details of the review panel, the debate or in fact the failures. We seldom see a summary of the debate over many years on some theories. piecing one's way through that requires stamina and an ability to recognise one's own disposition and preferences. That applies to EVERYONE, including eminent scientists. Science is seldom "settled" on anything.

in fact there are plenty of examples of scientists proposing theories who have been ridiculed and dismissed but also of cheating. here is one
    "William McBride, an Australian obstetrician, was hailed as a whistle-blowing visionary in 1961 when he sounded a warning about the dangers of thalidomide, a sedative prescribed for anxiety and morning sickness. In a letter to the journal The Lancet, McBride suggested that the drug was causing infants to be born with severe limb deformities. Although McBride's hypothesis was based on limited anecdotal observations, subsequent studies proved him right. Thalidomide was removed from the market, and the drug became almost synonymous with pharmaceutical malfeasance. Two decades later, in 1982, McBride published a report about a morning-sickness drug called Debendox that, he claimed, clearly caused birth defects in rabbits. Merrell Dow took the drug off the market amid an avalanche of lawsuits. But there was a problem. McBride had altered data in research carried out by assistants. The results showed Debendox had no ill effects."
    https://www.discovermagazine.com/the-sciences/20-of-the-greatest-blunders-in-science-in-the-last-20-years

I understand why some people come down on the side of vaccinations - and I have always previously argued for vaxing. However I also understand why people are expressing fears about the current vax programs and those on the market. Some of it is who people listen to but some of it is appropriate doubt. Some of it simply represents a failure on the part of those responsible for the Covid roll out (ie the federal government) to recognise the social environment and to use appropriate influence techniques. Some of it represents poor media reporting and some of it reflects the level of distrust in general. In fact the latter has always been a precursor to rebellion and revolution.

there are very well known techniques for influencing people and there has been data and research on this for many years. It would have been easy to do an analysis of the different target audiences and develop appropriate strategies and marketing appropriate to those groups.

the blunt and crude attitude to vaxing on this thread - from supporters - is as bad. positional debate is long known to be useless. by making other people wrong one simply reinforces their need to defend and rebut. you do it and they do it. there is no bridge building. there is no listening to what might be failures of communication, or more serious failures of the technology itself. there is no leading people out of their fears.

Once upon a time when we had an uneducated population (and I mean barely any education or illiterate) and when divine right was a dominant way of thinking, or when armies control people, or when most people were vassals and serfs and had few rights it might have been Ok to use fear and compliance. But it doesn't work any more.

to fail to recognise that is as bad and maybe worse, in my view, as the doubt about this crop of vaccinations.

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.