no need to worry about richard armitage

1. 3,191 Posts.
    Fat toad will be out of office by November

Explain yourself, Armitage: Bracks

July 09, 2004
    VICTORIAN Premier Steve Bracks today issued a "please explain" to US Deputy Secretary of State Richard Armitage for his comments on Labor's Iraq policy.

Mr Bracks joined other political leaders today in criticising Mr Armitage for interfering in Australian domestic politics.

His comments follow Mr Armitage's claim that Labor was split by its policy to withdraw Australian troops from Iraq by Christmas.

"I think a 'please explain' is required here," Mr Bracks said.

"Why is it that these comments have been made?

"What is the purpose of them and why are they made when you know that in making them it will be a part of the political debate in Australia?"

Mr Bracks said he was "surprised and shocked" by Mr Armitage's remarks "which appear on the face value to be interfering in the political campaign in Australia".

He said he supported criticism overnight of Mr Armitage's comments by federal Labor leader Mark Latham and former prime ministers Paul Keating and Malcolm Fraser.

He said he "couldn't imagine" officials in previous US administrations giving similar commentary on the internal affairs of the Labor Party.

"I'd like to see an explanation.

"I was quite surprised by it frankly. I thought that our relationship was more advanced, more mature, more well-developed than those statements attribute."

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.