MTS 1.39% $3.54 metcash limited

no wonder mts price was smashed, page-6

1. 1,340 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 10
    Well, for what it's worth, I think the market is a bit jittery about the write-downs, but that this is probably unjustified.

It wouldn't be completely out-of-left-field to see the stock sold down. However, ex-dividend can't be far away, and I would not be surprised if stock is sold down less than the dividend over the next few months.

Assuming we see a dividend of 16c, do you think that the stock will be trading at $3.62 for very long?

Personally, I think the chances that it will trade with such a high dividend yield for long are pretty low. I think, if you factor in the dividend, holders will see a very reasonable return over the next few years.

To me, the idea that the biggest independent supplier of groceries will shrink springs from the view that we will eventually live in a dystopic nightmare where we buy everything off coles or woolworths (or the local farmers market).

I basically don't think that that will happen. Further, as people get used to the new reality that you can't borrow for ever, they will get less pessimistic and realise that they can still save themselves time, and support their local community by doing some shopping at the smaller stores.

I'm yet to meet someone who enjoys shopping and woolworths more than going to their local IGA, even if they might save a few dollars.

I agree with others on this forum that a shrinking underlying EPS is a sell signal. However, I think that holders have shown themselves to be reasonably happy with a couple of % growth in EPS each year - and I think that seems sustainable.

It's not risk free, but I think long term it has a good chance of being a solid investment.

PS - I topped up today.

watchlist Created with Sketch. Add MTS (ASX) to my watchlist
(20min delay)
Last
$3.54
Change
-0.050(1.39%)
Mkt cap ! $3.864B
Open High Low Value Volume
$3.60 $3.65 $3.54 $23.42M 6.541M

Buyers (Bids)

No. Vol. Price($)
24 192438 $3.54

Sellers (Offers)

Price($) Vol. No.
$3.55 29202 1
View Market Depth
Last trade - 16.10pm 28/06/2024 (20 minute delay) ?
MTS (ASX) Chart
arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.