BPH 4.35% 2.2¢ bph energy ltd

Senator O'NEILL: So let's just unpack that: the initial phone...

1. 2,851 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 1974

Senator O'NEILL: So let's just unpack that: the initial phone call was the one you've already talked about, 21 April; no contact; and then another phone call from PM&C to your department in December. Is that correct?

Ms Quinn : There was a meeting held.

Senator O'NEILL: How was the meeting convened? Was there anything written?

Ms Quinn : I'm not exactly sure of the arrangements about calling the meeting. I don't have that information here.

Senator O'NEILL: Can somebody assist you?

Ms Quinn : None of the officials involved at the time are currently in the department; they're all in the department of energy at this point. They've provided their evidence to Ms Bell's inquiry, but I'm not party to their personal evidence, because they're not current officials of my department. So I can only relay what we have in terms of official records, which is that there was a subsequent meeting held with the department informing them that the Prime Minister had been sworn into the resources portfolio. It was at that meeting that there was a discussion about his being a decision-maker for the purposes of the PEP 11 application.

Senator O'NEILL: So in the form of a discussion, and not in any documentation, the department was advised that the PEP 11 matter was now to be decided by the Prime Minister acting as the Minister for Industry, Science, Energy and Resources?

Ms Quinn : There were subsequent processes to establish the legal position of the swearing-in.

Senator O'NEILL: Could you take me through those, please?

Ms Quinn : I might just pass to my colleagues to see whether they've got additional information.

Mrs Laucher : As the secretary noted, we were made aware via a meeting exchange on 8 December of the appointment and that the Prime Minister would be taking the PEP 11 decision. We agreed that as part of that our department would take the lead on the briefing to the Prime Minister and commence that process.

Senator O'NEILL: A meeting generates a paper trail. Do you have any of that documentation?

Ms Urquhart : As the secretary mentioned, we have cooperated fully with the inquiry, including providing all documentation available to the department around the time line of events.

Senator O'NEILL: Again I ask, is there paperwork that has been referred to in your response to me so far that was subsequent to the meeting that set in train the direction that the decision on PEP 11 was to be communicated, as I understand from the evidence yesterday and today, solely to the Prime Minister and to cut out the known minister in public, Minister Pitt, from any further correspondence or communication with the department?

Ms Urquhart : Sorry, but do you mind breaking that question up for me?

Senator O'NEILL: It's pretty confusing, isn't it, and we aren't very skilled at unpacking this sort of deception and cover-up.

Ms Urquhart : What I could say is again that documentation has been provided to the inquiry.

Senator O'NEILL: Yes, but we're obviously not in the inquiry; we're here in the Senate asking questions about what happened. There has been no paper trail up until this date in December, which is—is it 8 December; is that the date that you mentioned to me the other day, Ms Quinn?

Ms Quinn : I mentioned just then that there was contact from the department. A meeting was held on 8 December where the department was advised that the Prime Minister would be the decision-maker for the purpose of PEP 11.

Senator O'NEILL: Then there was paper that followed?

Ms Quinn : Then the department was asked to brief the former Prime Minister in relation to his responsibilities.

Senator O'NEILL: How were you asked to brief; was it a verbal instruction or was there an email request?

Ms Quinn : As I understand it was part of the discussion with the Department of the Prime Minister and Cabinet.

https://www.aph.gov.au/Parliamentary_Business/Hansard/Hansard_Display?bid=committees/estimate/26274/&sid=0000

watchlist Created with Sketch. Add BPH (ASX) to my watchlist
(20min delay)
Last
2.2¢
Change
-0.001(4.35%)
Mkt cap ! $25.24M
Open High Low Value Volume
2.3¢ 2.4¢ 2.2¢ $98.00K 4.299M

Buyers (Bids)

No. Vol. Price($)
9 1288572 2.2¢

Sellers (Offers)

Price($) Vol. No.
2.3¢ 304942 2
View Market Depth
Last trade - 16.10pm 16/08/2024 (20 minute delay) ?
BPH (ASX) Chart
arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.